Chapter 46

Ophelia didn't know how long she had been asleep. 

The breeze from outside filtered in through large doors of the room, the sheer curtains blowing in the wind. The air caressed her face gently, stroking her soft skin and reminding her of the moments she had shared with her husband the day prior. It made a bright blush spread across her face just thinking about it. 

There was no doubt in her mind that Edward already knew she was awake; he always knew. But for once, the small girl was not awoken by irritation or annoyance like on normal days when her morning grumpiness was allowed. 

No, today was much different. 

She was a married woman. A married woman who had officiated her love with the man she was going to spend forever with in every way possible. Smiling, her tiny hand reached out for him, feeling around the bed until she came across his cold skin. She knew something was off. Even on her worst mornings when she was practically throwing a tantrum at the mention of getting out of bed, he would hold her close or kiss her forehead, anything other than lay completely still like he was now. 

Cuddling closer, she threw her bare leg across his sheet covered one, immediately feeling his cold hand grab it with a warning squeeze. 

"Is something wrong?" She asked innocently. 

Edward struggled to respond, eyelids pressed tightly closed, knowing that one look at her beautiful face he would crumble. 

"Did you enjoy last night?" His voice croaked out, finally opening his eyes to see her face twist in confusion, blushing once again. 

"Is that what's bothering you? I loved it." 

Her obliviousness only made it all the more difficult. Carefully pushing her away from him, Edward watched as she felt around the bed until her hand met the nightstand, reaching into the drawer she mumbled incoherently to herself before she retrieved what she wanted. Smiling gleefully, he watched her lean back over towards him and place a small crystal on his chest. 

"All better," she said and his brows furrowed at what was going on. 

"W-wha-" he stuttered. "Where did you even get this?" 

Ophelia smirked mischievously and made the weird faces she always did when she tried to wiggle her eyebrows, a skill she did not know how to do. Only Bella, Charlie, and Edward knew what she meant by it. 

"Remember when I said I had to go to the bathroom in the city?" Edward nodded despite knowing she couldn't see the action. She giggled, "Well I didn't have to go to the bathroom." 

Picking up the crystal and moving it to the side he shook his head. "That's not gonna fix this." 

"The lady said-" 

"Lady? You spoke to some stranger?" Edward scolded, hand coming up to rub his face. 

"Oops," Ophelia mumbled, clearly forgetting she wasn't supposed to mention that. 

"Ophelia I hurt  you," Ophelia could feel the bed shift, indicating he had stood up now. She shuffled quickly, trying her best to sit up on the edge of the bed, unsure of where he was standing. 

"No you didn't. I'm fine, I don't feel anything." Attempting to stand up her legs were a bit wobbly and there was a slight ache on her hips. 

Edward rushed over, stabilizing her enough and sitting her down on the bed before removing all contact, not wanting to touch her and risk bruising any of her skin further. 

"Don't do that. You can't see the marks, the bruises that I've left on your body but I know you can feel it. I can't tell you how sorry I am." His tone was so hurt, damaged far more than how her body actually felt. 

Ophelia could feel herself start to close off, hearing how disappointed his voice sounded made her feel sad. 

"I thought it was perfect. D-did you not like it?" She stuttered, something she did when she was starting to get emotional. 

Edward sighed, watching as her face fell and trying to choose his words carefully as to not upset her further. 

"That's not - "

She cut him off, standing up and stumbling around until she found the door to outside that had been left open. "I think I'll just sit outside for awhile." Tripping over a discarded shoe she bit her lip, trying to keep any tears from falling when Edward caught her quickly and tried to help lead her out. 

"By myself."