Chapter 26

A loud gunshot rang through the air, scaring birds from the trees and leaving Edward with his mouth hanging in shock. 

Ophelia Swan was leaned against the door frame of her house for support, her dad's shotgun placed in her hands ready to fire again. The first shot had missed Edward's foot by an inch. 

"That was just the warning, the next one won't miss." Ophelia called out. 

Charlie and Bella stood behind her, Bella with a look of surprise and Charlie's filled with pride. 

"I just wanna talk-" Edward was cut off by Ophelia when she cocked the gun once more. 

"You wanted to leave, so leave. You better get going fast cause' my finger's getting a little heavy." 

He didn't need to be told twice. Edward knew she wasn't messing around and he knew that he couldn't explain to her father why the gunshot wound didn't kill him. 

"Oh my god Opie! What the hell?" Bella cried out once the door closed. 

"What?" She asked innocently.

"You were gonna shoot him! And how is your aim so good?" 

"Dad used to take me practicing on our camping trips. It's just like everything else I have to work at," she sighed, sitting down on the couch with a wince. 

"You were gonna shoot him," Bella said incredulously, still astonished at the fact that her innocent little Opie held a shotgun half her size pointed at the man she loves. 

"I might've planned on grazing him." 

"That's my girl!" Charlie whooped from the kitchen. "I'm so proud of you!" 

Ophelia giggled at her dad's reaction. If we're being honest it was much safer for her to want to shoot Edward than Charlie, especially since Charlie would being aiming to kill not graze. 

It wasn't until later that night that Edward tried again, this time at the window. 

Ophelia stumbled over, trying to slam it closed before Edward could crawl in but he placed his hands on top of hers. 

"Please just hear me out," Edward pleaded.

"No," she said stubbornly, eyes threatening to spill with tears. 

"If you want me to go I'll go. I won't bother you again. Just close the window when you go to bed." 

She slammed the window closed, moving back over to her bed where she cuddled her pillow tightly, letting some tears fall. 

It only took less than a minute before she got up and opened it, feeling pathetic that despite everything, she didn't want to lose him again. 

He came in when she was laying in bed, her face still wet from crying. Brushing his hand down her cheek she reached up and grabbed it, playing with his fingers and not letting it go. 

"You broke your promise," Ophelia whispered.

Edward felt a lump form in his throat. "I know." 

"I don't think I can forgive you for doing that." 

He shook his head, his thumb catching a fresh tear. "I don't blame you. I can never forgive myself." 

"How will I be able to trust that you won't do it again?" 

"Because I learned my lesson. Ophelia Swan, I will not leave your side again unless you ask me to. I know I have to earn your trust back, and I intend to prove to you that I won't be going anywhere. I'm yours." 

Interminable E. Cullenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें