Chapter 49

The trip home had been uneventful. It was a series of soothing words, from both Ophelia and Edward, as they tried to process the news they had received.

"You're stressed," Ophelia mumbled as her fingertips traced the porcelain skin under Edward's eyes. He hummed, leaning into her touch as she gently rubbed away the crease between his brows. "You should eat first. Tension will be high, you won't want another thing to worry over."

Edward sighed, tugging his wife closer to his chest and leaning down to kiss her forehead. "I'm afraid the list of worries is never ending."

There was no negotiating, Edward did indeed go for a hunt whilst Ophelia returned to the Swan residence, greeting her father with a tight hug and being trampled by none other than Kingsley.

The dog howled loudly, crawling his big body into her small lap and demanding maximum attention from his owner who gladly gave it to him. They spent a few hours like that, Ophelia sitting on the couch with Kingsley in her lap and her father across from her. She filled him on her trip, leaving out certain information of course.

The hug Esme gave her almost brought tears to the small girl's eyes. She was used to Bella's motherly hugs, but Esme's were a different level. It warmed and broke Ophelia's heart in so many ways, and both Bella and Edward shared a knowing glance from across the living room as they watched the two embrace.

The room had been quiet apart from the sounds Kingsley made - Ophelia refusing to leave the giant dog at home after reuniting.

Jacob and Carlisle conversed in hushed voices in the office as Ophelia crossed the room clumsily to stand beside Edward.

"I can talk to Sam. We might be able to track them down."

Edward scoffed, receiving a harsh pinch from Ophelia. "Be nice," she reprimanded.

Bella curiously watched her sister from across the room. Ophelia had always been beautiful, but something about seeing her sister in this new light made Bella's heart happy.

It was so clear as she watched her sister and Edward that the two were meant to be together. Even in the stressful time that was going on following Alice and Jasper's random absence, everyone could see how the two balanced each other out.

"Thank you, Jacob, but we have always made it very clear to our children that they are free to take whatever path they may choose. We just want to be sure that they are safe."

Carlisle's voice brought everyone from their trance as the older vampire cradled Esme close.

Ophelia leaned down to whisper something into her husband's ear and he nodded, taking her hand and leading her over to the piano.

Edward sat and Ophelia stood beside Esme and Carlisle. As he stretched his long fingers out, each finger hitting the notes to a familiar song, Ophelia reached out to hold Esme's cold hand.

And as the family sat in silence, listening to the song Edward had composed for his mother many years prior, a tiny little vampire and her mate began to run a little faster.