Chapter 4

The hospital was ridiculous.

Having been in and out of hospitals her entire life, Ophelia couldn't have been more annoyed at her current predicament. 

"Ophelia Swan, I'm Doctor Carlisle Cullen. I looked over everything and it says you're clear to go. You should try not to make a habit out of coming here though," He joked. They laughed, knowing her file was probably pages long from past hospital trips. Whether it had been an accident from her clumsiness, Bella's, or their mom's it was still recorded, and probably still marked on her body somewhere. 

As Carlisle looked at the girl seated in front of him he could understand why his son had become so indecisive. Hearing the way she spoke with her father and sister showed a lot of her character, and he wouldn't be upset if Edward would listen to Alice and let the future run its course. 

"Thank you," she smiled, "And please thank Edward for me if I don't see him sometime today." 

Ophelia was wrong. As soon as her and Bella began walking out to leave she overheard his voice down the hallway. "Edward?" she called, and he contemplated leaving without saying anything, but the harsh look on Bella's face told him that she wouldn't let him escape without responding. 

"My father said you were fine. How do you feel?" He asked, Bella quickly dismissed herself saying she would go get them something to drink. 

"I feel okay. A little tired is all. I wanted to thank you for what you did." Ophelia paused, biting her lip in contemplation of asking her next question. "How did you save me? You weren't walking near us and Bella said you were by your own car when I asked."

Of course, Edward thought to himself. 

"I was standing next to you." 

She stopped, face turning slightly red from embarrassment and frustration. "That doesn't even make sense. That would only leave more questions; why were you next to me? When did you get next to me? How did you still manage to save me from a van literally heading straight at me and why did you come out unscathed?" Ophelia was relentless, knowing that the boy in front of her was hiding something. 

"Why can't you just thank me and get over it," Edward spoke through gritted teeth. 

"I did thank you. But the answer you're giving me doesn't correlate and just leads to more questions. So why can't you just answer with the truth?"

"No one would believe you so it doesn't matter. Move on." 

The girl stopped. No longer was she frustrated because she simply wanted to know the truth, she was angry. "If you honestly think that I would have told people then you are not who I thought you were Edward." With that, she turned around and was met by Bella who immediately started asking her what was wrong. 

Yet Edward felt something worse. A sad, impenetrable cloud lingered over his head as he watched the girl walk away from him, now realizing what he had done. He had to protect his family above all, but something else had shifted when he had protected her from the van. The feelings that swarmed inside him weren't going away, and despite how hard he tried  to ignore her and avoid the issue, it was impossible. 

That evening after a shower Ophelia and Bella laid on her bed. "I just thought that with all the rumors and whispers about me and all the rumors and whispers about his family he wouldn't believe that my first thought would be to spread whatever information I found about him to people. He thought that I would be so heartless to do something like that." 

She knew deep down that it made sense for him to be defensive and not want to tell her for that reason, but it still hurt that that was how he perceived her. Ophelia definitely wasn't the best person in the world, everyone makes mistakes, but she tried her best to not hurt others in any way, often times resulting in people using her or walking over her generosity. 

"You don't wanna be friends with him anyways, he's so moody. You don't need someone who is just going to step all over your feelings without a care in the world, you deserve better than that." Bella tried to hype her sister up, knowing that if Edward walked up to her the next day she'd probably still forgive him. Ophelia valued other people's happiness way more than her own, even if that meant letting them hurt her. 

Later that night Edward had to check up on her. Wanting nothing more than to say a mental goodbye before he left her life forever, he made his way through her window. He came prepared, knowing that the mammoth of a dog slept on her bed. As soon as he crawled through the window the dog began to growl, and slowly threw a treat down in front of him like he had seen in Alice's vision. 

As expected, the dog gobbled it down happily and went back to laying peacefully, eyes still trained on the intruders every move. Edward looked around her room, it was pretty plain and normal except the wall across from her bed. 

He walked over, inspecting her drawings. They were mostly portraits, some pretty paintings and some of scenery. There was an incredibly accurate one of Bella, but beside that was a new one, he could tell by the feel and look of the paper compared to the ones beside it. 

It was a picture of himself; so detailed and precise, as though she simply copy and pasted it onto a canvas. Drawn out of his thoughts he heard her mumble, talking in her sleep. It wasn't surprising as both her sister and father could be heard doing it in the other rooms as well. 

After another minute of looking he turned to face her bed where she was clutching a pillow tightly and she spoke once again. This time, calling out for Edward, a small smile graced her face. He almost believed that she was awake, but her breathing and heartbeat told him otherwise. Kingsley had given up, realizing that Edward wasn't going to do anything harmful, and scooted his way back up to where Ophelia laid, laying his massive head under her arm comfortably. 

When Ophelia woke up she was ready to take on the day. Giving herself a pep talk and making coffee, she was almost excited to go to school if it weren't for the dreadful talk of yesterday's events. 

Walking into biology class later that day she managed to stumble over a string of a backpack, Edward quickly grabbing her forearm to help steady her as she sat down on the stool. As much as she struggled internally, she managed to not say anything, sticking to her no talking rule. 

Edward on the other hand was flabbergasted, not expecting her to ignore him. He waited patiently throughout the lesson but nothing. Here he had been thinking that it would be him ignoring her. 

Ophelia's last period of the day was art, which she knew she shared with Alice Cullen. However, she was approached by a different Cullen sibling on this particular day. 

Rosalie had come in with a plan to tell the human to leave her brother alone. That was until she stood beside Ophelia and saw her canvas. Unlike the charcoal portrait that had been done of Edward in her room, this was a painting of Rosalie. Looking at it Rose grew infatuated, growing an appreciation for the painting as though she were Dorian Gray. 

"Do you like it?" The girl asked.

"It's beautiful." Rose spoke, getting Ophelia's attention. She didn't think that it would be her standing there. 

"Did I get the colors right? I usually struggle getting the eyes because of how complex the colors are." 

"No, it's perfect. Don't change a thing."