Chapter 48

Edward had only been gone for a couple of hours. 

Days had gone by, and Ophelia and Edward's honeymoon was close to perfect. Despite Edward's constant reassurance that he was well fed, earlier in the evening Ophelia demanded he go hunt just in case. 

What he didn't expect to find when he got back was his wife swaying drunkenly around the kitchen. He could smell it as soon as he walked in, even though it slightly covered up by the fruity contents. 

"Love, what are you doing?" His voice was calm, as calm as he could make it while inwardly freaking out about the situation he had never encountered before. As soon as the words escaped his mouth Ophelia turned, a bright smile etched across her face as giggles followed. 

"You're back!" Stumbling slightly over her feet, she threw her arms over his shoulders and stood on her tiptoes to place a sloppy kiss to his cheek. 

Edward caught her body weight, wrapping one arm around her waist and reaching the other out to grab the glass bottle that was discarded on the counter. Turning it around in his hand he could read the fancy Italian writing and knew it was one of the expensive wines that had been left in the house. 

"You were drinking wine?" 

Ophelia bounced in his arms, displaying a close resemblance to what someone would consider a very excited child, as if she had simply gone off on a sugar high after sneaky candies out of the pantry. 

"Well I was thirsty and at first I thought it was one of those fancy waters that has bubbles in your mouth because the bottle felt similar but when I tasted it, it wasn't water." She said it all in one breath, huffing slightly at the end as she ran out of air before continuing, "And it tasted like juice." 

Kissing Ophelia's forehead, a sigh made its way past his lips. Edward wasn't upset with her, though he would have preferred to be there when she had started drinking in case she had hurt herself. It was also really hard to feel anything but weak under her bright smile and cuddly touch. 

There had been a small struggle, but Edward eventually got her to the bedroom and sat her on the bed. 

"Are we gonna," Ophelia paused and tried to wiggle her eyebrows. "You know?"

Edward almost choked on air. 

"Not tonight baby." The pout she gave him made his mouth quirk up at the edge in the slightest before he pulled up the covers and tucked her in comfortably and ran his fingers through her hair to lull her to sleep. 

But before succumbing to her dream world, Ophelia mumbled out an 'I love you'. 

Wind brushed across Ophelia's face, tickling her nose and forcing her to wake up. She groaned slightly, feeling drained and a slight thumping in her head. 

Rolling over, she met the embrace of her husband which immediately lifted her mood. Burying her face into his neck she breathed deeply, welcoming his cool temperature that seemed to soothe the ache chipping its way at her skull.

"Good morning to you too," he chuckled. The feeling vibrating out of his chest and towards her body. He reached up to brush the hair out of her face, and softly stroked the skin of her cheek. 

Ophelia simply hummed in response, far too enamored in the feeling of being in her lover's arms. 

"Do you remember much of last night?" 

As if a giant wave of realization had struck her mind, Ophelia buried her face deeper in Edward's neck, blushing a bright crimson. "I was so embarrassing." 

Edward smiled, pulling her up so he could place kisses around her face. "Once I got past the stages of shock and worry I thought you were adorable."

She groaned dramatically, before retreating to the bathroom to pee and brush her teeth. 

Edward waited until after she had finished, wanting to give her some privacy before coming in and wrapping his arms around her waist from behind to look at her through the mirror. No matter how many days, months, or future years would pass, he would always be in awe of Ophelia's beauty. 

Ophelia leaned back into his arms, feeling him press kisses up her neck and jaw. Turning around to kiss him, his hips pushed her gently into the counter of the sink as if to hold her in place as their lips ghosted over one another before a loud ring ruined the moment. 

Edward's grip tightened ever so slightly before he released her, running off into the other room to quickly answer the interruption. Ophelia was also annoyed, blowing air out of her mouth in a huff as she waited for him to come back. 

A breeze rushed past her once, twice before finally stopping in front of her. "We have to go," Edward rushed out.

"Why? What's wrong?" Ophelia gulped, feeling anxiety creep up on her as she awaited his answer. 

"Alice and Jasper are gone."