Chapter 44

Ophelia's entire body relaxed as Bella tried her best to comb gently through her wet hair. 

Submitting to the multitude of feelings surging through her system, she almost wished Jasper was present to help regulate them. Leaning back into Bella she sighed, petting Kingsley whose head laid on her lap. 

"It's going to be perfect Opie," Bella attempted to reassure her sister, to which Ophelia merely nodded in response. "I had my doubts about him at first, but you two have this weird cosmic love. It's almost blinding to anyone standing nearby." Bella laughed a little. "Dad and I are just happy you're happy. We love you so much." 

Ophelia turned slightly to initiate a hug. "I'm going to visit all the time. Maybe I can come home on weekends." Her voice was childlike, cracking at the end despite the harsh swallow she did to get rid of the lump in her throat. 

Instead of answering, Bella cuddled her sister. Cuddled her and made jokes to get her to laugh until Ophelia finally fell asleep, mumbling incoherent words into Kingsley's fur as they both took up most of the space on Bella's bed -  not that she was complaining. 

Earlier in the day Charlie, Bella, Kingsley, and herself had actually taken a nap. A ridiculous statement to ever come out of Charlie or Bella's mouth seeing as the two rarely did such a thing. But for Ophelia, they made a comfy fort like set up in the living room, and listened to old music and baseball announcements on the little radio Charlie had. Somewhere along the way they all managed to fall asleep, and the notion both warmed and broke Ophelia's heart knowing that that'd probably be the last time for a long time they all got to do something together. 

The following day was fast paced, waking up ridiculously early thanks to none other than Alice Cullen. If anyone were to ask Ophelia what had transpired before the wedding, she honestly would not be able to tell them. It was like she was in a cloud, just floating around tuning out of Alice's rambling, except when Alice and Rosalie had gotten into an argument over who got to do her hair. By the time Ophelia was standing next to her father, holding Kingsley's lead in one hand and her father's arm in the other, she began to tremor in nerves of what was about to go down. 

"You know, we could always back out. Come back another day. I could pull the car around in 30 seconds tops," her father whispered down into her ear making her giggle. 

When the music started and she began walking, it was the only time in her entire lifetime she wished she could see, wanting nothing more than to look at the love of her life and see him look back. Perhaps she could have seen Edward's reaction. 

Edward had told Jasper earlier in the day not to tamper with his feelings during the wedding. He wanted to feel every feeling he could have on this day, wanted it to be entirely his own. 

Oh the feelings he felt the second Ophelia Swan came down the steps. Edward's throat began to close up, and he could feel the need to almost gasp for air he didn't need as he gazed upon his mate, his chest feeling heavy as though his stone cold heart was going to fall straight out of his body and begin beating against the ground. 

She was ethereal. 

Something so unnaturally beautiful that Edward swore he could hear angels cry out in anguish, falling from the sky to get a closer look at the creature walking towards him. The sun peered its own head around the once dark cloud it had previously hidden behind, welcoming Ophelia with a stream of sunlight like some kind of spotlight to follow her down the aisle. 

As if some forest fairies had plucked stars from the sky to decorate the glow around her head like some sort of halo. Edward did not know whether he should bow down at her feet and praise her like the goddess she so clearly was, or to cast himself away for not being worthy of such a pure and wonderful soul.