Chapter 42

Ophelia felt like she was choking. 

Struggling to breathe she could feel Edward's cold hands pulling her up into a seated position, stroking her hair and speaking inaudible words. 

Edward still couldn't read her mind. Though the familiar pricking at his brain and behind his eyes gave him the worst migraine he'd ever felt before. Her thoughts demanded privacy, but the flashing of pictures he knew he'd never be able to focus on long enough to make out tired him out. The only time's it was that bad were when Ophelia was sleeping, and her brain was less guarded. He almost preferred the complete silence whenever this happened. 

"I'm sorry," she whimpered. 

"Don't be. It's okay," Edward stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head. "Is there nothing I can do to make it go away?" 

Ophelia shook her head. No matter how hard she tried, the screams echoed in her head. "I never should have let you near her," he continued, referring to Bree. 

"It wasn't her fault. I just wish we could have saved her." She swallowed, still uncomfortable from the sounds she heard whilst asleep. 

Edward carefully moved her downstairs and into the living room, a sketchbook and pencils had already been left out for her to draw. "I'll make you some coffee." He knew his words weren't heard; she had already begun sketching. 

He stood in the kitchen anxiously, waiting as Esme prepared the coffee for him as always. 

"You know you two will be married in a couple days. You wouldn't wanna start off a marriage with lies," Emmett spoke from his seat at the counter. 

Edward rolled his eyes, accepting the coffee his mother had so kindly made once again. 

The things she did for her children.

"It's hardly a lie." 

He watched as Emmett's expression changed, a goofy grin now stretched across his face. "It would be a shame if someone were to," he paused for dramatic effect, "tell her." 

"You wouldn't." 

"Oh but I would." 

The two brother's stared each other down for several seconds, Edward well aware of the wager Emmett was holding over him in his thoughts. "Fine. But you can't tell Ophelia about the coffee." 

"Deal." 

***

"Ophelia please stop being so difficult. Nothing is wrong." 

She struggled in her seat, petulantly pushing away Edward's hands that kept trying to buckle her into his car. "Call Alice, she'll agree with me." 

He sighed, finally clicking the seat belt in and starting the car. "I don't need to speak with her. Are you sure you aren't just having wedding jitters or something?" 

Ophelia scoffed, crossing her arms. "I'm telling you Edward, I don't want to go home." 

"Baby, everything is fine. Charlie and Bella aren't even home right now. Don't you want to see Kingsley? He always makes you feel better." Edward tried to reason. He wasn't sure what tipped her off about going back to the Swan residence, but she was determined that her anxiety was right this time. 

She sat quietly the rest of the ride. Ophelia did, however, notice Edward's intake of breath as she felt the familiar bumps of the driveway. Edward had not  been expecting a car to be in the driveway, and he definitely didn't expect to see Renee Dwyer waving wildly from the porch.