Chapter 14

It took less than a second after Alice's vision for Edward to appear at Ophelia's side. 

"We have to get you out of here." 

"There's no time," Carlisle spoke.

Ophelia felt a cold shiver race down her spine as Edward pulled her close to his side. Her own hand dragged Bella's, who had quickly laced her fingers with her younger sister's after hearing the news. 

Bella watched her sister, who surprisingly had a straight face, stare at the field in front of them. Ophelia's stomach swirled, but more than anything she just felt guilt. 

The Cullen's crowded around the human girls, pushing them farther into the back in hopes of somehow concealing their potent scent. 

"I believe this belongs to you," a new voice said, drawing Ophelia's attention. The more the conversation went on, she could make out who it was and knew there was a female at his side. But there was another vampire. She could feel it, feel his gaze that looked in Edward's direction, coming to trail over her and Bella afterwards. 

For a moment she could feel her sister relax as the footsteps retreated and Edward began to pull them away, but as the wind shifted so did the atmosphere. 

Snarls flew out of every present vampire's mouth, Ophelia feeling a harsh shove as Edward pushed her behind his body. It was clear that the mood was no longer playful and cautious. 

"I'm so sorry. I never should have brought you here. I need to get you out." Edward apologized, tugging her into Emmett's jeep. 

She harshly pulled her arm from his grip, surprising both her boyfriend and sister. "Don't worry about me worry about Bella and Dad." She snapped unintentionally. Shaking her head she put it down into her hands. "I'm sorry. You just need to promise me you'll take care of them first."

Bella protested from the back but it didn't matter. Edward wasn't even listening. He was in his own head, formulating, trying to read through every possibility and then calculate any curveball that could mess up his or Alice's plans. 

The air in the car got heated the more he tried to convince Ophelia to leave Charlie. 

"I can't just leave him Edward. How could you even consider it after all I said to confide in you?" 

He shook his head, growing impatient at her being so hard headed. "Now isn't the time for you to be stubborn. You're in danger and you'll be putting him in danger if you don't leave." 

"I'm putting him in danger whether I stay or go! He will track it back to our house no matter what. I'm not saying I won't leave, I'm just saying I won't break my father's heart to do it!" 

"We don't have time Ophelia!" 

"THEN WE WILL MAKE TIME!" She argued back. 

"I'll do it," Bella spoke quietly from the back. "I'll come up with something like I'm homesick or want to go live with Mom again. Charlie knows Ophelia would never let me go alone so he'd believe it and it won't hurt him as bad."

"Bells no," Ophelia shook her head again, tears stinging the corners of her eyes. "I got you into this, that wouldn't be fair." 

"Hey, it'll be okay. I've got you and we will come back and everything will be okay again. I promise." Bella rubbed her sister's arm. 

***

"I'm sorry Dad. I have to go with Bella for now.  Please understand." 

Ophelia didn't hold back any tears when Bella and her got into the truck. They began water falling and didn't stop. Not when Edward demanded he drive or when she hugged Bella tightly, apologizing profusely for Bella once again having to deal with one of her messes. 

She was lucky enough to stop when they reached the Cullen's house, not wanting to appear as even more of a burden. 

As they all stood in the garage, trying to formulate the perfect plan, Ophelia spoke with a shakey voice. "I just wanted to say how sorry I am. If I had known all of this would have happened I wouldn't have come. I never meant to cause your family any harm." 

Esme's bottom lip jutted out slightly, watching the small girl hold herself tightly, never straying too far from the little corner she sat herself in after their arrival. Making her way over she gently pushed hair away from Ophelia's eyes and hugged her tightly. "We know sweetheart. Nobody blames you." 

Edward watched, trying hard to push away his harsh and conflicting thoughts. 

Once it was settled, Bella and Ophelia got into the car with Jasper and Alice. Edward carefully shut the door behind Ophelia and pulled her face towards his. 

"I will see you soon." She nodded, eyes getting watery again as she tried to pull her chin away. Instead he leaned forward and kissed her forehead, then her nose, and finally a soft and short kiss to her lips. "Soon," he promised once more. 

A short kind of bleh chapter, sorry. I will probably update the final Twilight portion tomorrow and then we can start on New Moon soon 

<3