Chapter 53: Team Rocket At It Again

*Y/n POV*

Grady and I stalked along the empty halls of the old Team Rocket base. Good news was, the place seemed to still be abandoned. Bad news, the empty corridors, stained with the attacks of the Pokemon who were tortured here, were even more terrifying than the Pokemon Tower.

"T-this is creepy," Grady chattered, "Do you really have to let Haunter out right now?"

"I need someone who will protect us," I replied, taking Haunter's pokeball and throwing it out into the corridor, "I'll make sure he stays near me."

"Haunter!" The gaseous Pokemon cried, floating over my shoulder.

"Be prepared boy," I whispered, "We have some people in here that aren't very friendly with us."

Togetic's pokeball, him inside, jiggled lightly against my belt. It was one of very few noises we could here echoing the halls, other than the far away creaking of metal pipes and hinges.

Haunter hovered over my shoulder, an oddly comforting feeling given his trickster nature. As we continued walking forward, we began to hear something similar to typing.

"It's Jennifer," Grady whispered, "She's... she's typing on a computer of some kind. It looks like she's downloading a file."

"That's odd," I replied, ducking behind the same wall he was leaning out from, "Don't you think they would've taken all their data with them when they were forced to leave?"

"We would have," A mysterious voiced boomed, "But unfortunately the International Police didn't send a warning when they were coming."

We both whipped around just in time to see Proton coming from behind us. We backed away from him, coming out into the open where Jennifer was standing on the other side of us.

"Well, well, well," Jennifer said, stepping aside and letting Proton walk around us to stand beside her, "You were right, they really would follow us."

"Of course I was," Proton said, "I was put in charge for a reason."

"You're not in charge of me!" Jennifer yelled angrily, "You know what... let's... just finish this."

"Right," Proton agreed, "I'll be breif. i believe we were a little harsh with you the last we met."

"A little?"

"Yes, a little. That's why I wanna extend the hand of friendship and make a deal."

"A deal?" I asked incredulously, "What could you want?"

"Obviously," Jennifer rolled her eyes, "We want the Togetic."

"Oh yeah," I said, "And what do I get in return."

"We let you leave here alive."

*Third Person POV*

There was a moment of silence, before Y/n stepped back and Haunter floated out in front of him.

"A shame, really," Proton said, his Murkrow floating down from the darkness above, "Well, this shouldn't take too long."

"A double battle then," Grady said defiantly, "Cause I know you two certainly won't play fair."

"Well I'll be," Jennifer taunted, "Someone's starting to catch on."

Haunter was joined on the battlefield by Diglett, who let out a cry. Jennifer was equally as quick to join Proton, reaching to her belt. Y/n and Grady were expecting her to send out her Sandshrew, but were surprised when a Nidorina launched out of the ball.

"Surprised," She taunted, "Well, you aren't the only ones who have been catching new Pokemon."

"Nidorinaaaa!"

"Doesn't change anything," Y/n growled, "We're still gonna win!"

"Murkrow, Wing Attack!"

"Haunter, Shadow Punch!"

"Mud Bomb!"

"Double Kick!"

All four Pokemon rushed into the open. Haunter slammed his fist into Murkrow, who was trying to strike him with his wing. Nidorina leapt into the air and kicked Diglett twice in succession, who ended up shooting his Mud Bomb wide of his target.

The attacks continued. The trainers and Pokemon were almost in perfect synchronization, ignoring the commands of everyone else and focusing in on their trainers. Haunter swooped low, turning into a shadow with Shadow Sneak and reappearing behind Nidorina. Diglett shot mud out at anyone it could reach, launching attack after attack.

Murkrow was more cunning, taking dirty shots at Diglett and Haunter whenever he could. He had a type advantage on both, and he knew it. Nidorina on the other hand was more brutal in the fight, charging head on and sending her opponents reeling back.

However that brutal fighting style also led to her being knocked out first. Haunter had managed to land one too many Shadow Punches, and one last Shadow Sneak knocked her out of the battle.

Now it was just Murkrow, Haunter, and Diglett. Murkrow let out a cry and swooped down again, trying to take Diglett out of the fight. Unfortunately for it, haunter was waiting in the shadows for the attack, and leapt out to take the Bird Pokemon out of commission.

"Yeah!" Y/n cheered, "That's the way to do it, Haunter!"

The Ghost type cheered in his own way, stretching and contorting his face and letting out a "Bleggh!"

"Yes, yes," Proton sarcastically clapped, "Well done, very well done."

"You don't seem too upset," Grady said, "I figured you'd be begging us not to tell the police about this place."

"Oh," Proton said, not looking at them, "And how do you figure you'd be leaving here?"

Y/n tugged on Grady's shoulder, and he turned to see what Y/n was looking at. There were three large Pokemon coming towards them; A Magmar, an Electabuzz, and a Kangaskhan, all with crazed blood red eyes.

"We have to get out of here."

They both turned tail and sprinted towards the exit, the three Pokemon charging behind them. It didn't take long for them to get in view of the exit, but they were close to get caught. The Pokemon were only a few feet behind them, within arm's reach at this point.

"We can't let them get out!" Y/n shouted, "We have to close the door!"

"Sure!" Grady shouted back, "But how do you suppose we do that without being locked in!"

Y/n thought for only a second, and when they were within 20 feet of the door, he grabbed Togetic's pokeball from his belt. He whipped his wrist back and chucked it forward. It struck the bookshelf that hid the secret door, and bounced backwards, letting Togetic get loose as it tore through the false poster and pressed the button.

Togetic was very confused, especially as his trainer and Grady leapt through the rapidly closing door. They both collided with the ground roughly, as the door closed with a bang and they could hear the Pokemon pounding on the other side.

Y/n and Grady laid on the ground for a second, oblivious to the workers and Game Corner customers who surrounded them.

"I..." Y/n puffed, "I need to call Looker."