Chapter 59: Fuchsia Gym

Hey everybody, it's your friendly neighborhood Author Man!

So... it's been a while.

I've been kind of busy with college prep stuff and a friend that stayed with me for a week, not to mention that in two weeks I'll be moving into the dorms at my college.

So yeah, sorry I disappeared for a bit. Hopefully I'll be able to get back too it.

See ya in another life, Brotha!

.

.

.

*Third Person POV*

Y/n, Grady, and Leaf walked past the sign that read:

"Fuchsia City Gym

Leader: Jeanine"

...and into the gym. Haunter floated above Y/n's shoulder, and Grady kept a watchful eye on his every move.

"This seems too simple..." Y/n said, eying the empty room that contained nothing but a few trainers and the gym leader, "After the pool and the electricity, I expected a bit more out of a ninja gym."

Y/n took a confidant step forward...

...And immediately slammed face first into an invisible wall.

"Arceus damn it!" Y/n shouted, grabbing his nose.

"Guess it isn't that simple." Leaf giggled.

"No," Y/n groaned through a stuffy nose, "By bose hurtz."

There was a flash of light, and Y/n was able to clearly make out the shape of the wall for a split second.

"This is crap."

"Yep," Leaf said, pulling him up, "But you want the badge, right?"

And so the three felt their way against the wall, sliding along through the maze with one arm against the wall.

Eventually, after an hour of working through the maze, they came across the first gym trainer.

Y/n couldn't make out any features of the person they came across. Not even the gender, as they were dressed head to toe in a black gi. Their head was covered in a tight hood.

"So, do we have to battle you first?" Grady asked.

The trainer threw a pokeball into the air, and a Drowzee popped out into the air.

"Why do you even ask?" Y/n said sarcastically, "Of course we do."

Y/n reached out to either side of him, and had a sudden realization.

"Wait a second!" He said, "There's only five feet between the walls! Most of my Pokemon won't fit."

"If you truly want to succeed," The trainer said, even their voice androgynous, "The true ninja will find a way to fight in any situation."

"You suck."

Y/n pinched the bridge of his nose, and then looked up.

"How are we gonna do this?" He asked in a whisper, before another glint of light revealed the top of the wall was a few feet shorter than the roof, "That's it..."

Y/n turned back to the trainer, shouting, "Let's do this then! Time for your battle debut, Haunter!"

Haunter's face exploded in happiness. His tongue shot out and he swooped down through Y/n's chest, becoming incorporeal to pass through his body.

"Okay buddy," Y/n said, "We need to get above the walls here, then you'll be in charge."

"Haunt! Haunter!"

Haunter floated out in front of Y/n, and the Dowzee joined him only a few feet apart. Y/n was about to call out his first command, when the ninja trainer beat him to it.

"Drowzee, use Hypnosis!"

The Drowzee waved its arms and a wave of psychic energy shot out towards Haunter. The ghost type swayed slightly, before Y/n shouted.

"Haunter, stay here, snap out of it!"

Haunter snapped to attention, his face immediately shifting to attention. Y/n smirked, and then put his plan in motion.

"Take it up top and use Shadow Ball!"

Haunter launched into a back flip upwards, as shadowy energy gathered between his hands. He whipped back and threw the energy straight at the Drowzee.

The ball collided with the Drowzee, exploding and sending it reeling backwards. It wobbled on one leg for a second, before landing on its back with a cloud of dust.

"Way to go, buddy!" Y/n cheered, "Amazing debut!"

Haunter looked down at him cheerfully, before being slammed by a blast of psychic energy.

"A good ninja never loses focus," The ninja trainer said, now standing beside a Kadabra, "Never lose focus."

"H-haunter!" Haunter cried, "Haunt-ter!"

"Alright then, ready for round 2!"

"HAUNTER!"

"Haunter, use Sucker Punch!"

Haunter flew down, avoiding another attack from the Kadabra. He came in close and slammed a fist into the Kadabra's gut, causing it to crash into the wall.

"Get him, Kadabra! Psybeam!"

"Haunter, get up high!"

Haunter avoided the attack, flying above the invisible walls. The Kadabra shot out waves of psychic energy, trying to strike the speedy ghost-type.

The Kadabra took a second's break, but that was all the time Y/n needed.

"Now!" Y/n shouted, "Shadow Ball again!"

The Haunter grew his ball of ghost energy in front of him, before sending it flying into the Kadabra. The spoon-wielding Pokemon was barely able to hang on after the attack, and tried to steady itself as the ninja trainer called.

"Kadabra, use-!"

"Sucker Punch!"

Haunter flew down and once more slammed the Kadabra with a shadowy fist. The kadabra went flying over its trainer, colliding with the invisible wall, before falling to the ground and collapsing. The spoon landed next to it.

"Congratulations," The ninja trainer said, taking a step to the side, "Beware more tricks in the future."

"Good job buddy," Y/n congratulated Haunter, "Let's keep moving."

"Haunt-Haunter!"