Chapter 5: On The Road to Pewter

*Y/n POV*

Leaf and I walked through the forest, Togepi in my backpack and Bulbasaur walking along with us.

We were just talking and laughing, having a good time. Eventually, we came upon a young boy, who pointed at me.

"We're both trainers!" He called, "So I challenge you to a Pokémon battle!"

"Bring it on." I replied.

"Go, Rattata!"

"We got this Togepi!"

Togepi jumped out of my backpack, and the two Pokémon stared at each other.

"Rattata, use tackle!"

The Rattata attempted to tackle Togepi, but he just jumped out of the way.

"Togepi, use extrasensory!" 

Togepi used the psychic attack, sending the Rattata flying into a tree.

"Follow it up with a tackle!"

Togepi tackled the Rattata, sending it back to it's trainer's pokeball.

"Grr, alright, you're up Pidgey!"

The small bird Pokémon came out of its ball, hovering in the air. It let out a cry, and Togepi prepared to fight.

"Use gust!"

It flapped its wings, creating a massive gust of wind. It easily picked up Togepi, slamming him into the ground. He got up, more angry than hurt.

"Togepi, use tackle!"

Togepi ignored me, and used extrasensory to throw the Pidgey to the ground. It then tackled the Pidgey, knocking it out.

"Togepi, what the heck!?"

Togepi turned back to me, and walked over, standing in front of me.

"Why didn't you listen?" I asked the small Pokémon.

It ignored me, choosing instead to play with the grass. I began to get angry.

"Why you little-"

"Y/n, calm down," Leaf said, "Have you even caught Togepi?"

"Caught? What do you mean?"

"Does he have a pokeball?"

"What? Of course not." I answered, "He was just hatched."

"That explains it," She said, "He's not listening to you because he's not your Pokémon. He's technically wild, he just takes suggestions from you."

I facepalmed, and Leaf giggled, before rummaging in her bag.

"Here," She held out a pokeball to me, "Use this."

I took it and went over to Togepi. I kneel next to him, and he looked up at me.

"Togepi," I said, "We can't keep doing this. If we're going to travel the world together, we have to work together as a team."

He looked at the pokeball, then at me. He crossed his arms and turned away.

"Oh come on," I begged, "Please? For me?"

He looked at me, and then uncrossed his arms, turning to me and holding out his arms.

"Thanks buddy."

I threw the pokeball, and it absorbed him in. After a few seconds, the pokeball stopped shaking, indicating Togepi had been caught.

I picked up the pokeball, turning it over in my hand.

"My first Pokémon," I whispered, "Thank you."