Chapter 45: Vermilion Gym

*Third Person POV*

Y/n and Grady left the S.S. Anne, watching it sail off. Y/n's face was emotionless, unblinking, and completely stone. He eyes were wide and unmoving, and when he walked there was a stiffness that wasn't there before.

"Come on man," Grady said, patting him on the back, "You gotta cheer up! You were going up against veteran trainers, it's an incredible achievement that you got as far as you did!"

Togetic followed suit, hovering up and landing on Y/n's backpack. He nuzzled against the back of his head lightly, and Y/n reached behind him and picked him up.

"Thanks guys, but it's not that," Y/n sighed, "It just feels like... something is missing. I've lost more than once before, but this time felt... rougher."

"Yeah, that happens every once in a while," Grady scratched his chin, "Hey, I think I know what'll make you feel better."

"What?"

"Let's take a shot at the gym today," Grady said, pointing to the roof of the gym in the distance, "There's still a little daylight left, we can at least attempt to beat the leader."

"You know what, let's do it!"

"Atta boy!"

[Timeskip]

Y/n and Grady stepped through the doors of the gym, looking around. The walls were bright yellow, with massive wires and machinery. A bolt of lighting shot between two massive steel balls, and the duo watched with amazement.

"Woah..."

"Welcome to Vermilion Gym!" A booming voice shouted.

Both of the boys turned to see a hulking man walking towards them. He was over seven feet tall, with bulging muscles covering barely by a green jacket.  From the waist down, he was wearing green camo pants with uncountable pockets.

"I am Lieutenant Surge!" The blonde man shouted, "I use the electric type!"

"H-hi," Y/n stammered, "I-I'm Y/n!"

"Get up here and battle!" The gym leader shouted, standing at one end of a large arena, "I'll take you on easily!"

"I-isn't there someone else I'm supposed to beat first?"

"NO!" Surge's voice bounced off the walls, shaking the foundation, "At this gym, I ALWAYS FIGHT FIRST!"

"A-alright sir."

"WHAT WAS THAT!?"

"SIR YES SIR!"

Y/n's back went ridged, and a smirk crossed Surge's face.

"Throw out your first Pokemon!"

Y/n reached for a pokeball on his belt, throwing it out into the arena. Nidorino pop out onto the arena, letting out a growl. Lieutenant Surge threw out his own pokeball, releasing a Voltorb. The round pokemon spun slightly, sending an angry glare at Nidorino.

"Nidorino use Horn Attack!"

Nidorino, horn glowing, charged forward. Voltorb rolled out of the way, allowing Nidorino to pass by and coming to a skidding stop.

"Voltorb, Shock Wave!"

The bolt of electricity shot out and struck Nidorino, who managed to hold his ground. The attack seemed to do little damage and only seemed to anger the poison-type, who awaited the next command.

"Nidorino, Double Kick!"

Nidorino charged forwards, this time too fast for Voltorb to avoid. He brought down both feet and sent the Voltrob flying backwards. The Voltorb came to a skidding stop, as Lieutenant Surge smirked.

"Not bad kid! Voltorb, use Self Destruct!"

"What!?"

The Voltorb rolled forward faster than Nidorino could react, and began to glow.

"Nidorino, get out-!"

The Voltorb suddenly exploded, sending Nidorino flying away. The poison type stopped in front of Y/n, collapsing onto his stomach and letting out a groan.

"Alright, you did it buddy," Y/n soothed, petting Nidorino, "Come on, back in the ball."

Nidorino returned to the ball, and Surge looked down on him.

"Come out, Pikachu!"

"Oh come on."