Chapter 9: Pewter City Gym Part 1

Hey everybody, its your friendly neighborhood Author Man!

Just a heads up. I'm getting my wisdom teeth removed, so it might be away before any new chapters are released.

See ya in another life Brotha!

*Third Person POV*

With a new friend at the Pewter City museum and some extra training under their belts, our heroes walked through the front doors of the Pewter City Gym with a confidence that only a beginner could have.

They were immediately greeted by the rocks and sand that decorated the gym. Knowing this was a rock-type gym, they weren't surprised by the choice of decor.

Y/n and Togepi lead the triangle, as they walked onto a massive battleground. It was painted like a basketball court, though the symbol in the center was painted as a granite grey and brown pokeball.

"U-um, welcome challengers!"

The voice boomed through the gym, echoing off the walls and roof. The source of the voice was revealed to be a short girl who stood near the back of the gym, on a platform above the strange trio.

"I'd like to f-formally welcome you to the Pewter City Gym," She stuttered nervously, "T-this is the first step on y-your journey to become the Pokemon League C-champion

"I'd like to f-formally welcome you to the Pewter City Gym," She stuttered nervously, "T-this is the first step on y-your journey to become the Pokemon League C-champion..."

Y/n, Leaf, and Grady looked between themselves, exchanging glances of confusion. The young girl walked down a set of stairs and stood on the other side of the battleground from them, revealing herself to be even shorter than Y/n himself.

"Umm, I-I'm the substitute gym leader, Amber," She stated nervously, "W-while Brock is gone, I'm supposed to take on challengers, but I'm not that... good. So in order to fight me, you'll have to defeat my gym trainers!"

Two young campers came running out from behind the podium, both of them holding pokeballs. One stepped onto the battleground, standing between Amber and Y/n.

"Good luck beating Amber," The camper taunted, "She's the toughest trainer in this gym! Even if I lose, she can totally beat you!"

[Camper Jason would like to Battle!]

Camper Jason threw out his pokeball, revealing the Geodude kept inside. Y/n pointed into the battleground, and said.

"This is it, Togepi!" He cheered, "Our rise to the top starts here!"

The egg-shaped Pokemon ran out into the field, standing across from it's rock-type opponent. Both Pokemon let out their cries, as the trainers began to call out commands.

"Togepi, Extrasensory!"

Togepi was quick to respond to it's trainer's call, lifting the Geodude into the air and throwing it back into the ground. The rock/ground type crossed it's arms and used them to cushion it's landing on the hard ground.

"Alright Geodude, hit it with a Rock Throw!"

The Geodude grabbed two of the stones around it, and threw them at Togepi. One of the stones struck the ground near him, causing him to go flying into the air. The other rock collided with Togepi in the air, causing him to fall and crash into the ground.

"Togepi!" Y/n called, "Are you okay!?"

"T-togepi..."

Togepi stood up weakly, an angry expression crossing his face. He turned to Y/n and nodded, who nodded in return.

"Alright Togepi," Y/n yelled, "Use Extrasensory again!"

"Geodude, Harden!"

The Geodude used Harden, becoming as solid as an actual bolder. He was surrounded by the pink aura again, but this time he was not lifted into the sky. He didn't even budge, as Togepi began to struggle and fight to lift him into the air. At most, the Geodude was only lifted a few inches into the air, and quickly dropped once again.

"What?!" Leaf was shocked, "It's too heavy!"

"Togepi can't lift it!" Grady followed.

Both turned to Y/n, who wasn't looking at the battle anymore. He was looking away from them, off to his left.

"What's he doing?!" Grady said, "He's not even paying attention!"

"Togepi..."

The egg-shaped Pokemon turned to his trainer, a confused look on his face. Y/n pointed at a medium-sized stone, about the size of his opponent.

"...Pick up that stone and throw it at Geodude!"

Togepi responded quickly, lifting the stone with Extrasensory and throwing it towards the Geodude, which was still hardened.

"Oh no, Geodude get out of the way!"

It was too late, the stone was already about to hit the Pokemon. The Geodude only managed to un-harden, which served as his down fall.

The Geodude was sent flying, landing next to his trainer, completely fainted.

[PKMN Trainer Y/n won the battle!]

"W-well," Amber said, "Good job Jason, you did you're best."

"B-but," The camper said, "I lost..."

"Yeah, but your Pokemon and you gave it your all!" She cheered, "So you succeeded!"

"Yeah," The camper realized, "I guess I did!"

He began to pump his fists in celebration, as Y/n picked up Togepi and threw him into the air.

"Yeah, we did it buddy!" Y/n cheered, "We've totally got this!"

"Togepi!"

"A-alright then," Amber announced, turning back to Y/n and Togepi, "Y-you're moving on to the next round. Your new opponent will be-"

"ME!"