Chapter 21: Cerulean City Gym Part 2

*Third Person POV*

*Third Person POV*

Y/n and the gym trainer stood apart from each other, each one on either side of the arena. All eyes were on the two,  obviously sizing Y/n up against his much larger opponent.

"Jeez," Grady said, "If that guy was any bigger, I'd guess that he was really a Pokemon in a suit."

Leaf was silent, as she looked toward the much smaller Y/n, with his two smaller-than-average Pokemon. The audience was beginning to joke and laugh, but Y/n had gotten back into his zone, ignoring everything but his opponent.

Togepi and Nidoran looked up to their focused trainer, each one determined in their own way. Y/n looked down and met eyes with Nidoran, letting a nod be the communication between the two as Nidoran ran out onto the field.

"Challenger Y/n has sent out Nidoran!" The substitute gym leader called into the mic, "And Riptide sends out... Poliwhirl!"

Said Pokemon came out onto the field, standing apart from each other as Nidoran glared at its larger opponent. Said opponent only took a confident stance, as he glanced down at the smaller Pokemon.

"Alright Trainers... Begin!"

"Poliwhirl!" Riptide yelled, "Use Bubblebeam!"

The Poliwhirl responded immediately, sending a stream of bubbles out to strike Nidoran.

"Nidoran, jump!"

Nidoran responded, leaping into the air and landing behind where the attack struck the ground.

"Now, Peck!"

Nidoran charged in, his horn glowing white. He stabbed into the Poliwhirl and sent it stumbling backwards, leaving it dazed and surprised.

"Jump back Nidoran, quick!"

Nidoran dodged backwards, as the Poliwhirl attempted to retaliate against the attack by swinging its arms around.

"Hit it with Poison Sting!"

Nidoran's horn began to glow purple, as he charged in from Poliwhirl's side and slammed into it's body. The Poliwhirl let out a cry, as its rapidly swinging arms knocked Nidoran back.

"Nidoran, are you okay?!"

"Nido," Nidoran groaned, "Ran-Ran!"

"Alright buddy!"

"Grr..." The buff man growled, "Poliwhirl, use Brick Break!"

The Poliwhirl lifted his hand and it began to glow, as he stood above Nidoran. Suddenly, before it could even bring down its arm, the Poliwhirl began to cough and stumbled back. Its skin was beginning to discolor, appearing slightly purple as it coughed up purple bubbles.

"Poliwhirl is poisoned!" Christine announced, "Incredible strategy by the challenger!"

"Alright, we get them on the ropes!" Y/n cheered, "Let's finish this quick! Hit it with Double Kick!"

Nidoran let a confident smirk cross his purple-furred face, as he charge towards his opponent. His feet began to glow, as he leapt into the air and nearly soared towards his opponent.

The Poliwhirl could only watch in weakened fear, as Nidoran soared through the air and slammed one front foot into it's face, before planting the other and pushing the Poliwhirl into the ground with a crash.

When the dust cleared, Nidoran was left standing, as the Poliwhirl laid on its back.

"And the winner is... Challenger Y/n!"