Chapter 57: Safari Zone

*Third Person POV*

After a tense dinner and night of rest at Leaf's parent's house, our trio of adventurers borrowed some bicycles to take along the cycling road. Having arrived at Fuchsia City, on the southern coast of the Kanto region, Y/n was inching to explore.

"Oh it's been too long since I came to Fuchsia!" Leaf said, holding Cubone in her arms, "I forgot how beautiful everything was!"

The small town really was beautiful. Massive trees and natural beauty surrounded the buildings and roads, and Y/n could even see wild Pokemon running around past a fenced in area.

"What's that building for?" Y/n said, pointing towards the fenced in area with a building bridging both sides.

"Oh that's the Safari Zone."

"What's a Safari Zone?"

Leaf and Grady both swung their heads towards Y/n in shock, and Y/n jumped back slightly in surprise.

"How do you not know what the Safari Zone is?" Grady asked, "It's the best place to catch Pokemon in Kanto!"

"Hey, be a little nicer, please!" Leaf barked, "He's right though, there are Pokemon in the Safari Zone that you won't see anywhere else in Kanto."

"Well then let's go," Y/n said, "We don't really have anything else to do, we can take on the gym whenever."

"Alright then!" Grady cheered, "Let's get some Pokemon!"

And so the trio walked to the Safari Zone, paying the 500 pokedollar fee, and entering.

"Just a reminder," An attendant said as they walked into the zone, "Pokemon must remain in their balls while within the Safari Zone. No battles are allowed inside."

*Y/n POV*

"Okay, so where should we look first?" I asked, looking towards Leaf and Grady.

"Well some of the rarer Pokemon tend to be-"

"Chansey!"

Both Grady and Leaf tore off past me and into the wild, long grass. I got left behind as they disappeared out of sight, and I let out a sigh.

"I guess I'll catch up."

I stomped off towards where they disappeared, looking right and left for any sign of rare Pokemon. Every once in a while I would hear something rustling, see the shadow of something disappear behind a rock or tree. It reminded me a lot of when I first met Haunter, though a little less outright terrifying.

Every so often I would see a Pokemon pop out somewhere, but nothing quite like the 'rare Pokemon' Leaf and Grady had described. A HootHoot here, a Pidgey over there, nothing special.

That is until I heard a wailing cry shoot through the Safari Zone. I looked around, and the sound seemed to be coming from a small wooded area off to my right. I looked around for anyone else, and seeing nobody around I walked off towards the wooded area.

As I stepped closer the noise only got louder and louder. It reminded me of Cubone's cries, especially in how loud and ear-piercing they are.

Finally, I was right next to the source of the crying. I peaked around a tree trunk, looking out towards the figure that sat at the base of a tree.

It was a baby Kangaskhan, apparently lost. It was sitting against the tree, bawling its eyes out.

"Hey buddy," I said soothingly, stepping forwards slowly, "Are you lost?"

The baby backed away from me, pushing against the tree in fear.

"Hey hey hey," I said, "I'm not gonna hurt you. Where's your mama?"

It started crying again, and I could feel my ears start to bleed.

"Please stop crying," I said, picking it up and bouncing it slightly, "If I help you find your mama, will you stop crying?"

It pressed its head against my jacket, and I could finally hear it's cries die down slightly.

"Sweet relief."