|2.2| Mom's fury

***

"IT'S NOT MUCH," SAID Ron.

"It's wonderful," said Harry happily.

They got out of the car.

"Now, we'll go upstairs really quietly," said Fred, "and wait for Mum to call us for breakfast Then, Ron, you come bounding downstairs going, 'Mum, look who turned up in the night!' and she'll be all pleased to see Harry and no one need ever know we flew the car."

"Right," said Ron. "Come on, Harry, I sleep at the — at the top —"

Ron had gone a nasty greenish color, his eyes fixed on the house. The other four wheeled around. Their mom was marching across the yard, scattering chickens. 

"Oh no." Grace's eyes widened and she immediately hid behind Ron who was taller than her.

"Ah, "said Fred.

"Oh, dear," said George.

Molly came to a halt in front of them, her hands on her hips, staring from one guilty face to the next. She was wearing a flowered apron with a wand sticking out of the pocket.

"So," she said.

"Morning, Mum," said George, in what he clearly thought was a jaunty, winning voice.

"Have you any idea how worried I've been?" said Molly in a deadly whisper.

"Sorry, Mum, but see, we had to —"

Ron, Fred, George and Grace were taller than she was, but they cowered as her rage broke over them.

"Beds empty! No note! Car gone — could have crashed — out of my mind with worry — did you care? — never, as long as I've lived — and you took Grace with you —

"She insisted!" said Ron throwing an accusatory eye toward Grace, who just shrugged sheepishly. 

"So what?" Mom bellowed. "She's your sister — you're supposed to take care of her —" She then turned toward Grace. "And you — you're grounded — not allowed to go out —"

"You can't — "

"Don't you tell me what I can and can't do, young lady!" Her eyes then turned toward all of them. "you wait until your father gets home, we never had trouble like this from Bill or Charlie or Percy —"

"Perfect Percy," muttered Fred.

"YOU COULD DO WITH TAKING A LEAF OUT OF PERCY'S BOOK!" yelled Molly , prodding a finger in Fred's chest. "You could have died, you could have been seen, you could have lost your father his job —"