|3.11| Patronus Charm

***

GRACE AND HARRY WENT straight up to their dormitory to collect her and Harry's firebolt and brought them downstairs and tried to find something to do with the Firebolt; however, there where no bent twigs to clip, and the handle was so shiny already it seemed pointless to polish it. Grace, Harry and Ron simply sat admiring it from every angle, until the portrait hole opened, and Hermione came in, accompanied by Professor McGonagall.

Grace, Harry and Ron stared at her, both holding the two Firebolt. Hermione walked around them, sat down, picked up the nearest book and hid her face behind it.

"So that's it, is it?" said Professor McGonagall beadily, walking over to the fireside and staring at the two Firebolt. "Miss Granger has just informed me that you two have been sent a broomstick, Weasley, Potter."

Grace, Harry and Ron looked around at Hermione. They could see her forehead reddening over the top of her book, which was upside-down.

"May I?" said Professor McGonagall, but she didn't wait for an answer before pulling both Firebolts out of their hands. She examined them carefully from handle to twig-ends. "Hmm. And there was no note at all, Potter? Weasley? No card? No message of any kind?"

"No," said Harry blankly.

"None at all." Grace said shaking her head. 

"I see. . ." said Professor McGonagall. "Well, I'm afraid I will have to take both of them."

"But why?" said Grace scrambling on her feet.

"W — what?" said Harry. "Why?"

"They will need to be checked for jinxes," said Professor McGonagall. "Of course, I'm no expert, but I daresay Madam Hooch and Professor Flitwick will strip them down —"

"Strip it down?" repeated Ron, as though Professor McGonagall was mad.

"It shouldn't take more than a few weeks," said Professor McGonagall. "Weasley and Potter will have it back if we are sure it is jinx-free."

"But why does it need to be striped?" said Grace her voice higher than usual. 

"There's nothing wrong with it!" said Harry, his voice shaking slightly. "Honestly, Professor —"

"You can't know that, Potter," said Professor McGonagall, quite kindly, "not until you've flown it, at any rate, and I'm afraid that is out of the question until we are certain that it has not been tampered with. I shall keep you both informed."