|6.22| Horcruxes

***

GRACE AND HARRY RUSHED back into the castle wearing Harry's invisibility clock. The front door had remained unlocked for them, but on the third floor they met Peeves and only narrowly avoided detection by diving sideways through one of their shortcuts. By the time they got up to the portrait of the Fat Lady and pulled off the Invisibility Cloak, Grace was not surprised to find her in a most unhelpful mood.

"What sort of time do you call this?"

"We're really sorry — I had to go out for something important —"

"Well, the password changed at midnight, so you both will just have to sleep in the corridor, won't you?"

"You're joking!" said Grace. "Why did it have to change at midnight?"

"That's the way it is," said the Fat Lady. "If you're angry, go and take it up with the headmaster, he's the one who's tightened security."

"Fantastic," said Harry bitterly, looking around at the hard floor. "Really brilliant. Yeah, I would go and take it up with Dumbledore if he was here, because he's the one who wanted me to —"

"He is here," said a voice behind Grace. "Professor Dumbledore returned to the school an hour ago."

Nearly Headless Nick was gliding toward them, his head wobbling as usual upon his ruff.

"I had it from the Bloody Baron, who saw him arrive," said Nick. "He appeared, according to the Baron, to be in good spirits, though a little tired, of course."

"Where is he?" said Grace, her heart leaping.

"Oh, groaning and clanking up on the Astronomy Tower, it's a favorite pastime of his —"

"Not the Bloody Baron — Dumbledore!"

"Oh — in his office," said Nick. "I believe, from what the Baron said, that he had business to attend to before turning in —"

"Yeah, he has," said Grace, excitement blazing in her chest at the prospect of telling Dumbledore she and Harry had secured the memory. 

They wheeled about and sprinted off again, ignoring the Fat Lady who was calling after them.

"Come back! All right, I lied! I was annoyed you woke me up! The password's still 'tapeworm'!"

But they was already hurtling back along the corridor and within minutes, Grace was saying "toffee éclairs" to Dumbledore's gargoyle, which leapt aside, permitting Grace and Harry entrance onto the spiral staircase.