|6.27| The Phoenix Lament

***

WATCHING DUMBLEDORE DISAPPEAR OVER the edge of the tower; she felt like she was back in the Department of Mysteries watching her father die. The pain, so similar to the one she experienced when she had lost her father, resurfaced and she felt she was being being ripped apart to the core, piece by piece torn from her body, bone to bone shredded and crushed and broken. 

This pain, though, did not stop her from jumping to her feet, her wand in her hand and a savage look on her face. It did not stop her from blasting the Carrow twins into the wall, their head cracking the stone, and it not stop her from rounding relentlessly at Fenrir Greyback.

"Crucio!" she screamed as Harry ran down the stairs behind Draco and Snape, Fenrir's screams chasing after him all the way down.

The werewolf writhed on the ground and screamed with such force that his throat might bleed, and she sent a bolt of blue light to him, and he remained on the ground, unconscious. 

Her legs moved on her own accord as she sprinted down the steps of the tower and into the battle. Death Eaters and Order members were throwing curses left and right. Grace now saw red hair flying like flames in front of her: Ginny was locked in combat with a masked Death Eater, who was throwing hex after hex at her while she dodged them: the Death Eater was giggling, enjoying the sport: "Crucio Crucio — you can't dance forever, pretty —"

"Impedimenta!" yelled Grace.

Her jinx hit the Death Eater in the chest: He gave a piglike squeal of pain, was lifted off his feet and slammed into the opposite wall, slid down it, and fell out of sight behind Ron, Professor McGonagall, and Lupin, each of whom was battling a separate Death Eater. Beyond them, Grace saw Tonks fighting an enormous blond wizard who was sending curses flying in all directions, so that they ricocheted off the walls around them, cracking stone, shattering the nearest window —

"Grace!" Ginny cried. "When did you and Harry get back?"

"No time!" said Grace, her brain working on her own accord. "Are the others okay?"

"I think," she said. "Hey wait — "

Grace was running down the corridor, her feet first taking her to the first floor near the kitchens. A group of bewildered and pajama-clad Hufflepuffs were in the the corridor outside their dorm, peering around.

"Grace! We heard a noise, and someone said something about the Dark Mark —" began Ernie Macmillan.

"Listen to me!" she yelled, skidding to a stop before the group. "Go back inside your common room and do not come out until someone you trusts comes for you, do you understand?"