|3.7| Grim Defeat

***

ON THE DAY OF THE match Grace woke up very early in the morning, so early that it was still dark. She tried to fall back asleep, but it was very difficult, now that she was awake, to ignore the sounds of the thunder rumbling overhead, the pounding of the wind against the castle walls, and the distant creaking of the trees in the Forbidden Forest. In a few hours she would be out on the Quidditch field, battling through that gale. Finally, she gave up any thought of more sleep, got up, dressed, picked up her broom, and walked quietly out of the dormitory.

The noise of the storm was even louder in the common room. Grace knew better than to think the match would be canceled; Quidditch matches weren't called off for trifles like thunderstorms. Nevertheless, she was starting to feel very apprehensive.

"Grace." 

She looked up to see Harry coming down the boy's dormitory with his Nimbus two thousand. 

"You got up early." He said taking his place next to her. 

"I could say the same for you." She said. 

"Peeves woke me up, and I couldn't fall back asleep because of the thunder." He explained. 

"I just hope everything goes fine." said Grace with a sigh. "Seeing this is my first match."

"Don't worry," said Harry. "I know you'll do great."

"Let's hope so."

At long last Grace thought it must be time for breakfast, so she and Harry headed through the portrait hole alone.

"Stand and fight, you mangy cur!" yelled Sir Cadogan.

"Oh, shut up," Harry yawned.

Grace didn't touch the food as she wasn't feeling like eating at all. Harry on the other hand revived a bit over a large bowl of porridge, and by the time he'd started on toast, the rest of the team had turned up.

"It's going to be a tough one," said Wood, who wasn't eating anything.

"Stop worrying, Oliver," said Katie soothingly, "we don't mind a bit of rain."

But it was considerably more than a bit of rain. Such was the popularity of Quidditch that the whole school turned out to watch the match as usual, but they ran down the lawns toward the Quidditch field, heads bowed against the ferocious wind, umbrellas being whipped out of their hands as they went.