|5.33| The Only One He ever Feared

***

"DAD!" GRACE YELLED, HER thin figure struggling in her grasps of Moody. "We have to get him out!"

"He's gone, Grace!" said Moody a little roughly.

She turned to look at him and Lupin, her eyes desperate and wide. "Y-you can help him, my dad's in there! You have to help him! Please —"

"He can't come back, Grace," said Lupin, his voice breaking as he struggled to contain Harry. "He can't come back, because he's d —"

"HE — IS — NOT — DEAD!" roared Harry. "SIRIUS!"

"Please!" Grace cried desperately, "Help him! My dad isn't dead, he's in there. Why don't you understand? He's in there! Get him here!"

She turned around at veil, still hoping for Sirius to reappear from it. "Dad! Dad!

There was movement going on around them, pointless bustling, the flashes of more spells. To Grace it was meaningless noise, the deflected curses flying past them did not matter, nothing mattered except that Moody and Lupin stop pretending that her dad, who was standing feet from them behind that old curtain, was not going to emerge at any moment, shaking back his dark hair and eager to reenter the battle —

Moody dragged Grace away from the dais, Grace still staring at the archway, angry at her dad now for keeping her waiting —

But some part of her realized, even as she fought to break free from Moody, that Sirius had never kept her waiting before. . . . Sirius had risked everything, always, to see Grace, to be there for her. . . . If her dad was not reappearing out of that archway when Grace was yelling for him as though her life depended on it, the only possible explanation was that he could not come back. . . . That he really was . . .

Dumbledore had most of the remaining Death Eaters grouped in the middle of the room, seemingly immobilized by invisible ropes. When Grace had stopped fighting and Moody was sure that she wasn't going to run to veil, he left her to Lupin and walked across the room to where Tonks lay and was attempting to revive her. Behind the dais there were still flashes of light, grunts, and cries — Kingsley had run forward to continue Sirius's duel with Bellatrix.

"Grace? Harry?"

Neville had slid down the stone benches one by one to the place where Grace and Harry stood. Lupin had a precautionary grip on both Grace and Harry.

"Grace. . . I'b really sorry. . . .dat was your dad. . .I'd really sorry" said Neville. His legs were still dancing uncontrollably. "Harry, Was dat man — was Sirius Black a — a friend of yours?"