|3.22| Rescuing Sirius

***

AFTER RESCUING BUCKBEAK THEY moved around the forest until they were hidden behind a clump of trees through which they could make out the Willow. They saw themselves going under the tree and then Lupin. After a few minutes, Snape arrived and took the invisibility clock with him. And then they waited.

Grace took the end of Buckbeak's rope and tied it securely around the nearest tree, then sat down on the dry ground, arms around her knees.

"There's something I don't understand..." said Hermione. "Why didn't the Dementors get Sirius? I remember them coming, and then I think I passed out... there were so many of them..."

"I saw something, or rather someone." said Grace. 

"I saw them too." said Harry. "There were two of them."

And then they explained what they'd seen; how, as the nearest Dementor had lowered its mouth to Harry's, two large silver something had come galloping across the lake and forced the Dementors to retreat.

Hermione's mouth was slightly open by the time they had finished.

"But what was it?"

"There's only one thing it could have been, to make the Dementors go," said Grace. "A real Patronus. A powerful one."

"But who conjured it?"

Grace and Harry stayed silent. The figure felt familiar, like she knew them.

"Didn't you see what they looked like?" said Hermione eagerly. "Was it two of the teachers?"

"No," said Grace. "They weren't teacher. But I felt like I knew them."

"But it must have been a really powerful wizard, to drive all those Dementors away... If the Patronus was shining so brightly, didn't it light him up? Couldn't you see —?"

"Yeah, I saw them," said Harry slowly. "But... maybe I imagined it... I wasn't thinking straight... I passed out right afterward..."

"Who did you think it was?"

"I think —" Harry swallowed. "I think one of the two was my dad."

Both Grace and Hermione stared at him.

"Harry, your dad's — well — dead," Grace said quietly.

"I know that," said Harry quickly.

"You think you saw his ghost?" asked Hermione.

"I don't know... no... he looked solid..."