|5.19| St. Mungo's

***

THEY MOSTLY SAT IN SILENCE around the table, watching the candle wick sinking lower and lower into liquid wax, now and then raising bottles to their lips, speaking only to check the time, to wonder aloud what was happening, and to reassure one another that if there was bad news, they would know straightaway, for Molly must long since have arrived at St. Mungo's.

Fred fell into a doze, his head sagging sideways onto his shoulder. Ginny was curled like a cat on her chair, but her eyes were open; Grace could see them reflecting the firelight. Ron was sitting with his head in his hands, whether awake or asleep it was impossible to tell. 

It was getting impossible for her to sit still. She was feeling sick. Suddenly getting up, Grace dashed toward the bathroom and hurled her guts out. She felt someone kneel beside her as they rubbed her back gently. 

She breathed heavily, before vomiting again. Grace flushed before standing up. 

"You okay?" said Sirius. 

Grace opened her mouth to say 'fine', but couldn't get herself to say it. Instead she hugged him as tears fell down her eyes. 

"I'm scared, Dad." said Grace through her tears. "Things are just going worse, nothing's good happening."

"Don't say that." said Sirius. "Thing's are going to be alright. Arthur's going to be fine, okay?"

Grace nodded. Sirius kissed her forehead, before leading her out in the kitchen where everyone was already sitting. She made her to the seat and sat down, feeling as worse as ever. 

And then, at ten past five in the morning by Ron's watch, the kitchen door swung open and Molly entered the kitchen. She was extremely pale, but when they all turned to look at her, Grace, Fred, Ron, and Harry half-rising from their chairs, she gave a wan smile.

"He's going to be all right," she said, her voice weak with tiredness. "He's sleeping. We can all go and see him later. Bill's sitting with him now, he's going to take the morning off work."

Fred fell back into his chair with his hands over his face. George breathed in relief before sitting down next to Fred. Grace and Ginny got up, walked swiftly over to their mother, and hugged her. Ron gave a very shaky laugh and downed the rest of his butterbeer in one.

"Breakfast!" said Sirius loudly and joyfully, jumping to his feet. "Where's that accursed house-elf? Kreacher! KREACHER!"

But Kreacher did not answer the summons.