|2.3| Gilderoy Lockhart

***

THE BOOK LIST FROM school arrived soon, and it was very weird to find out that all the books were of Gilderoy Lockhart. Grace thought maybe the defence against the dark art teacher was a witch who was a fan of Gilderoy Lockhart.

Molly woke them all early the following Wednesday. After a quick half a dozen bacon sandwiches each, they pulled on their coats and she took a flowerpot off the kitchen mantelpiece and peered inside.

"We're running low, Arthur," she sighed. "We'll have to buy some more today... Ah well, guests first! After you, Harry dear!"

And she offered him the flowerpot.

Harry stared at them all watching him.

"W-what am I supposed to do?" he stammered.

"He's never traveled by Floo powder," said Grace suddenly. "Sorry, Harry, I forgot."

"Never?" said Molly. "But how did you get to Diagon Alley to buy your school things last year?"

"I went on the Underground --"

"Really?" said Arthur eagerly. "Were there escapators? How exactly -"

"Not now, Arthur," said Molly. "Floo powder's a lot quicker, dear, but goodness me, if you've never used it before -"

"He'll be all right, Mum," said Fred. "Harry, watch us first."

He took a pinch of glittering powder out of the flowerpot, stepped up to the fire, and threw the powder into the flames.

With a roar, the fire turned emerald green and rose higher than Fred, who stepped right into it, shouted, "Diagon Alley!" and vanished.

"You must speak clearly, dear," Molly told Harry. "And be sure to get out at the right grate..."

"The right what?" said Harry nervously as the fire roared and whipped George out of sight, too.

"Well, there are an awful lot of wizard fires to choose from, you know, but as long as you've spoken clearly --"

"He'll be fine, Molly, don't fuss," said Arthur, helping himself to Floo powder too.

"But, dear, if he got lost, how would we ever explain to his aunt and uncle?"

"They wouldn't mind," Harry reassured her. "Dudley would think it was a brilliant joke if I got lost up a chimney, don't worry about that --"

"Well... all right... you go after Arthur," said Molly. "Now, when you get into the fire, say where you're going."