|7.4| The will of Albus Dumbledore

***

GRACE WOKE UP AROUND nine o'clock the next day and gasped loudly when she remembered that it was Harry's birthday. She rushed to his room and threw the door open to see Harry waving his wand to make things fly in the room, and Ron ducking as the books went flying over his head.

"Mum's going to have heart attack when she see the state of the room," said Grace entering the room. 

"Only if we let her see it." said Ron. 

"Anyway, Harry," Grace turned to him and engulfed in a hug. "Happy Seventeenth Birthday! Here's your present."

She gave a small wrapped box with a pretty red ribbon on it. 

"Thanks," he said as he unwrapped it. Inside was a small velvet box which had two plain silver rings in it. 

"And I'm not proposing to you, before you think anything." said Grace. "You have some pretty wild imagination."

"I don't have wild imagination!" he said indignantly. 

Grace gave a dead-panned stare. He rolled his eyes. 

"Anyway, I thought the rings were pretty," she said. "I heard couples give it each other to express their love and devotion. And it's something to remember me by when I'm not with you."

He pulled the rings out and looked at her. "May I put it on your finger?"

Grace smiled and gave him her left hand and he slid the silver ring in her ring finger. She took the other ring and did the same for him. 

"Thanks, Grace." said Harry. "I love them."

Before Grace could say anything, Ron cleared his throat loudly, his eyes glaring at them. They had completely forgotten he was there.

+++

As Harry's birthday dinner would have stretched the Burrow's kitchen to breaking point even before the arrival of Charlie, Lupin, Tonks, and Hagrid, several tables were placed end to end in the garden. Fred and George bewitched a number of purple lanterns all emblazoned with a large number 17, to hang in midair over the guests. Thanks to Molly's ministrations, George's wound was neat and clean, but Grace was not yet used to the dark hole in the side of her brother's head, despite the twins' many jokes about it.

"Out of the way, out of the way!" sang Molly, coming through the gate with Harry's birthday cake in the shape of a giant, beach-ball-sized Snitch. 

"That looks amazing, Mrs. Weasley." said Harry, as the cake landed in the middle of the table.

"Oh, it's nothing, dear," she said fondly.