|6.13| Siblings Spat

***

GRACE WAS REALLY MISSING her old Quidditch team; they were prefect and won every game they ever played. Not that her present was bad, because they weren't. They were quite decent. Her, Ginny and Dean were doing great in the practice. The Beaters, Peakes and Coote, were getting better all the time. 

The only problem was Ron.

Grace knew that her brother was an inconsistent player who suffered from nerves and a lack of confidence, and unfortunately, the looming prospect of the opening game of the season seemed to have brought out all his old insecurities. After letting in half a dozen goals, most of them scored by Grace and Ginny, his technique became wilder and wilder, until he finally punched an oncoming Jimmy Peakes in the mouth.

"It was an accident, I'm sorry, Jimmy, really sorry!" Ron shouted after him as he zigzagged back to the ground, dripping blood everywhere. "I just —"

"Panicked," Ginny said angrily, landing next to Demelza and examining her fat lip. "You prat, Ron, look at the state of him!"

"I can fix that," said Grace, landing beside Jimmy, pointing her wand at Jimmy's mouth, and saying "Episkey." 

"Ginny, don't call Ron a prat," said Harry. "you're not the Captain of this team —"

"Well, you seemed too busy to call him a prat and I thought someone should —"

Grace forced herself not to laugh.

"In the air, everyone, let's go. . . ."

Overall it was one of the worst practices they had had all term' though Harry thought that honesty wasn't the best policy when they were this close to the match.

"Good work, everyone, I think we'll flatten Slytherin," he said bracingly and the two Chasers and Beaters left the changing room looking reasonably happy with themselves.

"More like we'll flatten ourselves." muttered Grace under her breath from beside Harry. 

"I played like a sack of dragon dung," said Ron in a hollow voice when the door had swung shut behind Ginny.

"No, you didn't," said Harry firmly. "You're the best Keeper I tried out, Ron. Your only problem is nerves."

Grace kept her mouth shut as Harry kept up a relentless flow of encouragement all the way back to the castle, and by the time they reached the second floor, Ron was looking marginally more cheerful. When Grace pushed open the tapestry to take their usual shortcut up to Gryffindor Tower, however, they found themselves looking at Dean and Ginny, who were locked in a close embrace and kissing fiercely as though glued together.