|3.24| Owl's post

***

GRACE, HARRY, HERMIONE AND Ron were sitting near the lake, watching the giant squid waving its tentacles lazily above the water, when a shadow fell across them. They looked up to see a very bleary-eyed Hagrid, mopping his sweaty face with one of his tablecloth-sized handkerchiefs and beaming down at them.

"Know I shouldn' feel happy, after wha' happened las' night," he said. "I mean, Black escapin' again, an, everythin' — but guess what?"

"What?" they said, pretending to look curious.

"Beaky! He escaped! He's free! Bin celebratin' all night!"

"That's wonderful!" said Grace, giving Ron a reproving look because he looked as though he was close to laughing.

"It's great!" Hermione said.

"Yeah... can't've tied him up properly," said Hagrid, gazing happily out over the grounds. "I was worried this mornin', mind... thought he mighta met Professor Lupin on the grounds, but Lupin says he never ate anythin' las' night..."

"What?" said Grace and Harry together.

"Blimey, haven' yeh heard?" said Hagrid, his smile fading a little. He lowered his voice, even though there was nobody in sight. "Er — Snape told all the Slytherins this mornin'... Thought everyone'd know by now... Professor Lupin's a werewolf, see. An' he was loose on the grounds las' night... He's packin' now, o' course."

"Snape already went after me, now he had to after Professor Lupin too?" Grace said aloud, frustrated.  

"He's packing?" said Harry, alarmed. "Why?"

"Leavin', isn' he?" said Hagrid, looking surprised that Harry had to ask. "Resigned firs' thing this mornin'. Says he can't risk it happenin again."

Grace and Harry scrambled to their feet.

"We're going to see him," He said to Ron and Hermione.

"But if he's resigned —"

" — doesn't sound like there's anything we can do —"

"I don't care." said Grace. "I still want to see him. we'll meet you back here."

Lupin's office door was open. He had already packed most of his things. The Grindylow's empty tank stood next to his battered old suitcase, which was open and nearly full. Lupin was bending over something on his desk and looked up only when Grace knocked on the door.