|4.21| The Third Task

***

SINCE THE ARTICLE RITA Skeetar wrote about Grace, Harry and Hermione in witch weekly, Hermione had been getting many hate mails. She even got a letter containing bubotuber pus. Howlers were sent quite often and Grace was feeling very bad for her. It only increased the hate she felt for that disgusting Skeetar woman. Ron had also written a letter to Percy asking about Mr. Crouch. 

Percy's reply didn't return until the end of Easter holidays. Percy's letter was enclosed in a package of Easter eggs that Mrs. Weasley had sent. Grace's, Harry's and Ron's were the size of dragon eggs and full of homemade toffee. Hermione's, however, was smaller than a chicken egg. Her face fell when she saw it.

"Your mum doesn't read Witch Weekly, by any chance, does she, Ron?" she asked quietly.

"Yeah," said Ron, whose mouth was full of toffee. "Gets it for the recipes."

Hermione looked sadly at her tiny egg.

"Don't you want to see what Percy's written?" Grace asked her hastily.

Percy's letter was short and irritated.

As I am constantly telling the Daily Prophet, Mr. Crouch is taking a well-deserved break. He is sending in regular owls with instructions. No, I haven't actually seen him, but I think I can be trusted to know my own superior's handwriting. I have quite enough to do at the moment without trying to quash these ridiculous rumors. Please don't bother me again unless it's something important. Happy Easter.

After their transfiguration class, Harry and other champions were called by Ludo Bagman in the quidditch pitch to tell about the third and final task. Grace, Hermione and Ron were waiting for him in the common room, when he appeared panting and looking white. He told them about what happened in the forest with Krum and Mr. Crouch. 

"It comes down to this," said Grace. "Either Mr. Crouch attacked Viktor, or somebody else attacked both of them when Viktor wasn't looking." 

"It must've been Crouch," said Ron at once. "That's why he was gone when Harry and Dumbledore got there. He's done a runner."

"I don't think so," said Harry, shaking his head. "He seemed really weak — I don't reckon he was up to Disapparating or anything."

"You can't Disapparate on the Hogwarts grounds, haven't I told you enough times?" said Hermione.

"Okay . . . how's this for a theory," said Ron excitedly. "Krum attacked Crouch — no, wait for it — and then Stunned himself!"

"And Mr. Crouch evaporated, did he?" said Hermione coldly.