twenty eight.

———

———

I'm nervous. Why am I nervous? I shouldn't be nervous. There's nothing to be nervous about. All we're doing is talking.

   It'll be fine, you're just having a conversation Hayley. You've had conversations before.

   Yeah no shit, what the fuck is your point.

   I attempt to give myself a pep talk on the drive over to Harry's house and by that I mean I curse myself out in every language I know. I don't know why I'm suddenly so nervous about this. All week I've been looking forward to this so we could finally put it behind us. I want so badly to just forget about it.

   Recently, I feel like I've done the whole thing of waiting in front of doors nervously while the other person comes to answer one too many times. I chew the spearmint gum in my mouth rapidly as I wait for Harry to answer his door.

   He doesn't keep me waiting that long, thank god. Upon opening the door, I see he's wearing sweatpants and is shirtless. It's five degrees out but his house is probably regulated so he'd be able to actually walk around shirtless, tattoos on full display.

"Hi." I say timidly and glance at the big butterfly tattoo in the middle of his torso.

"Georgia Rose." he has a small smile on his face and I get the feeling he might be nervous to. Oddly, that thought helps my own nerves calm down. "Come in." he steps aside, allowing me to enter and slip off my shoes.

   I follow him into the house and through to the huge living room. I don't come here often but I love Harry's house, ore than mine even. We sit on the couch but not as close as we would usually sit. There's a space between us. I watch as Harry sits back against the couch and I face him with my legs crossed on the seat beneath me.

   There's a somewhat awkward silence between us and I just stare at my hands and play with the gold rose ring on my middle finger. I twist it and turn it around my finger multiple times, not knowing if I should speak first.

"We should-"

"I think-" Harry and I talk at the same time so I cut myself off just as he does too. "You can go." I raise the corner of my lips up.

"We should talk, about the- I don't know." he seems to get flustered so I decide to speak instead.

"Yeah." I nod my head in agreement.

   This is so weird. Harry and I have never had an awkward tension before.

"I'm sorry." he blurts out.

"Stop apologising." I say softly, watching him even though he avoids my gaze.

"I just feel so.. like a jerk." he continues. "Are you mad?" His green eyes now choose look directly at me.