ninety one.

———

———

January 31st, 2020

Hayley's POV:

   In March 2015, Zayn Malik left One Direction. Due to my knowledge of this prior to the boys finding out, there was a brief rift in the friendships amongst us. However, the rift between Louis and myself lasted a bit longer. It took a few months for Louis to start speaking to me again but I was so grateful that he finally came around.

   During the first few years of friendship between me and the boys, Zayn, Louis and I formed a tight knit group. The three of us were once so close that we even have matching tattoos. Unfortunately, following Zayn's departure, our Golden Trio split up. I'm still close friends with both Louis and Zayn, but it's the two boys who no longer speak.

   It's always been in the back of my mind. I've always wished for them to reconcile one day but then I remind myself of the very public feud the pair had. The memory of the aftermath is enough to shoot down all hope of Zayn and Louis being friends again.

   I know that both of my boys think of each other, though.

   On rare occasions, when something in the media comes up, Louis would mention Zayn the next time he sees me. I'd ask him if he's thought about reaching out but his answer is always the same. 'I don't think either of us is mature enough to have that conversation just yet,' he'd always tell me.

   Zayn avoids the topic of Louis except for when I bring him up. After all, Zayn is my best friend and I tell him everything. I've said before that Zayn is my platonic soulmate and to this day that renders true. None of my other friends share a bond with me in the way that Zayn and I do.

   Today, Louis' debut album has been released and I couldn't be more proud. But that's not my point here. My point is that Zayn just brought up Louis without me having to say anything. Apprehensive as he might sound right now, I'm just shocked he's asking me questions about Louis.

"So have you listened to Louis' album yet?"

   That was what he asked me about a minute ago. We're parked in front of a Dunkin' Donuts and I'm just staring at the big sign above the door, thinking.

I seem to have forgotten to answer because Zayn says, "Rose, are you okay?"

I blink rapidly, snapping myself out of my head. "Sorry, daydreaming. What'd you say?" I pretend I didn't hear him, just to see if he'll drop it or try to start up a conversation.

"Oh," he clears his throat. I think he's going to forget about it but instead he repeats, "Have you listened to Louis' album yet?"

I play it cool, trying not to act like this isn't a big deal. It probably isn't a big deal, but for me it is. "Yeah, Lou played it for me when it was finished. Wanted to know if the tracklist sounded alright. It's really amazing, have you listened?"