Stand Your Ground

- - -

SUMMARY: 

It's been 6 years since Captain Marvel left the Justice League for good. Billy honestly thought he was done with the group of heroes- that is until they showed up at his high school.

- - -

It's been six years since Captain Marvel left the Justice League. 

Six years since the disastrous fight between him and the Man of Steel, a fight that leveled a small city. 

Six years since Billy realized that the heroes on the Justice League punched first, and asked questions second.

Ever since he'd left the League, Cap had kept to himself- he'd protected Fawcett City from any threat that came her way, be that robots, aliens, or anything in between. 

Sure, he'd helped the League out once during that time, when the world had been on the brink of destruction, but afterward, he'd left without even a goodbye- his job was done there, he'd had no reason to stay and socialize with them.

During those 6 years, Billy Batson grew- both physically and mentally. 

He'd eventually been taken in by a kind, portly man by the name of Dudley H. Dudley, and had been fully supported in his efforts as Captain Marvel.

With a roof over his head, Billy had even started going to school again- and, despite the learning curve, he'd done well for himself, making solid B's year after year. 

He'd even managed to convince Dudley to take in his oldest friend from the streets, a blonde boy by the name of Freddy Freeman, as well.

The pair caused more than enough mischief between the two of them, and Freddy acted as Captain Marvel's "guy in the chair"- well, that is until a stray lightning bolt from Billy gave the blonde powers of his own.

Neither of the boys saw a problem with this, however, since now Cap had the help of the guy he trusted most. 

So Voltage, or as Billy deemed him, Captain Marvel Junior, joined the raven in his battle to keep Fawcett safe.

Billy even found himself new friends- or, well, a friend- a transfer student by the name of Courtney Whitmore, who, coincidentally, was also the hero known as Stargirl. 

Billy had been trying to get the blonde to be more than just his friend for the past year, but both of them seemed clueless as to how this was supposed to go- something that had Freddy hanging his head in shame often.

Overall though, he was doing just fine without the Justice League as backup. 

He'd never needed them, really, and it felt kind of freeing to have people he trusted- his best friend and prospective girlfriend- watching his back.

In all honesty, the 16-year-old thought he was done with the Justice League for good.

That is until they showed up at his high school one day.

- - -

Billy yawned as his teacher, a spindly man by the name of Thomas Ackers droned on about chemistry. How the man could keep this snooze-fest of a lesson going with only five minutes until the bell, Billy would never know. 

He could feel himself falling asleep in his seat, his head bobbing forward slightly before it jerked back up.

The lanky teacher at the front of the glass pushed his crooked glasses up the bridge of his nose and filled in a box on the periodic table with a sigh when no one answered his question about what belonged there.