Memory Mishap

- - -

Clark thumped the pen between his fingers rhythmically on the table in front of him, chewing the inside of his cheek in thought. 

After practically begging Perry White to let him do a story on Superman and Captain Marvel's fight against Dr. Sivanna in Fawcett, he'd come to the quaint town, checked in to a hotel, and set to work.

It's just too bad he'd come up with nothing so far.

Not the story, no, that was going just fine- he had more than enough information, as well as witness accounts and data (not that Perry needed to know that just yet). 

No, what Clark was struggling with was something else entirely. 

The reason he'd begged Perry to assign him this story in the first place, allowing him to focus his attention on Fawcett City- that was what was giving him trouble.

Captain Marvel was missing.

The battle that he and the Captain had partnered on had gone somewhat smoothly, all things considered-- Sivana was a cackling lunatic that easily slid into the classic 'mad scientist' archetype, and had built some kind of death ray or something.

To be honest, Clark hadn't really been paying attention to what the man was saying, especially since half of the things that came out of his mouth made no sense to him and sounded more like an inside joke between the bald man and Captain Marvel.

Not to mention he'd been busy trying to fight off a giant, mutated octopus- which, really, gave him so many questions. 

Where had he been keeping this? 

How was it just fine to walk-or, uh, suction-cup around the city? 

Why did it spit acid of all things?

The reporter rubbed a spot just below his shoulder at the thought, wincing in pain as his fingers grazed sensitive skin. 

That acid had hurt. He really wished Arthur had been with them, it would have made things much easier- but the truth of the matter was that he hadn't been, and the creature had found Superman a wonderful target.

Regardless, while he was busy with Octo-zilla, Captain Marvel had taken on the mad scientist. 

Sivana had set up shop atop a radio tower, cackling and ranting on about something or other before taking aim at Captain Marvel when the man cracked a joke about his plan.

The demigod had redirected a lightning bolt from the sky towards the ray-gun and destroyed it- but not before Sivana was able to shoot him, launching him backward through the sky and sailing through the air as his lightning blew up Sivana's device.

Superman had managed to get the mutated calamari to submit after while and had detained Sivana quickly there-after- but Captain Marvel never returned.

At first, Clark thought the man would catch up with him at the Watchtower when he went in to give a report. 

When Captain Marvel never showed, he got worried. 

Bruce told him to give the guy a day or two, so he did- no word ever came.

The Justice League held a meeting, hoping the man would show and explain what had happened to him.

Captain Marvel hadn't shown up.

To quell the worry running through his teammates' heads, Clark had volunteered himself to look for the demigod- he'd wanted to help clean up from the battle anyways, and trying to find their missing demigod would help to silence the worry in his own mind as well.