Alien To Me | PART 2

- - -

A ripple of thunder and one magical lightning bolt later, and Billy had taken the place of Captain Marvel- blacking out in the process.

- - -

When he came to, the raven found himself staring up at the cavernous ceiling above him- his muscles ached and he felt hollow...a sign that his magic wasn't with him anymore. 

He hadn't realized he'd become so accustomed to the constant thrum of life that ran through him, but without it, he felt empty.

The boy winced when he tried to lift his head, being unsuccessful and finding gravity pulling it back down. 

Though, instead of landing on sand or soil as he'd expected, Billy found his head pillowed on something soft. He turned his head to look at what could possibly under him and acting as a pillow and furrowed his brow at the sight of bright red cloth.

"You're awake- good," a voice coming into the cave made the boy tense on instinct, something that had him wincing as pain rippled through his skull.

"Easy there, calm down, son. I'm not gonna hurt you."

Well yeah, he could tell that much- if he wanted to hurt him, Billy probably wouldn't have regained consciousness while lying down.

Wait- that voice. Billy knew that voice. It was a voice he had memorized, a voice that was unmistakable. "S...Superman...?" he breathed, furrowing his brow to glance at the slightly blurry blue figure standing to his side in front of the fire.

"I'm here, Captain," the man said, kneeling down beside the boy. "Are you okay?"

Okay? No. Would he survive? Yeah- yeah, he could manage that. Billy tried sitting up, finding large hands helping him, and maneuvering his small frame so that he was resting up against the cave wall. "'M fine..." he breathed, swallowing the bile in the back of his throat.

Billy could feel the Kryptonian's eyes on him, could almost feel the questions the man had hanging in the air- but Billy couldn't bring himself to look at the man.

 What was he supposed to say? He'd lied- not just to Superman, but to the whole League. He couldn't face his hero like this- he didn't have the courage of Achilles at his side.

All he had was the crummy courage of Billy Batson, and it wasn't much.

He could feel Superman's eyes on him still, the tension in the air thick and palpable. Billy swallowed thickly, sniffling as he brought his knees to his chest and hugged them. "I'm sorry..." he muttered, staring into the flames.

Superman said nothing but scooted closer.

"I- I lied. I lied to everyone. I'm not some ancient being like Diana...i'm not even an adult..." Billy said, ignoring the moisture collecting in the corners of his eyes. 

It made his nose burn and his breath hitch, but he ignored it nonetheless. "I'm just-" he swallowed thickly, grip tightening on his legs.

"I'm just some stupid kid."

A soft sigh came from the Kryptonian beside him as he grabbed his cape up off the ground and unfolded it. The larger raven then draped it around Billy's shoulders, his warm hands lingering for a moment before he drew back. 

"You're not stupid, Captain."

Billy shook his head, shock creeping into his system as he clutched the soft red fabric around him tightly.