Partners In Crime: Revisited

- - -

Everyone knew that Captain Marvel was practically a living, breathing ray of sunshine.

There was hardly a day that went by where the man wasn't smiling, being friendly to every hero he met, and lending a hand wherever he could. 

He was a bigger boy scout than Superman- which was saying something since the Man of Steel's other nickname was "The Big Blue Boy Scout".

Sure, the guy was kinda mysterious- he was one of the few members of the Justice League who had managed to keep his identity a secret from everyone- in fact, he might be the only one to accomplish that, since Batman had this weird obsession with knowing exactly who everyone he worked with was. 

They knew some things about his powers, like how they derived from the Greek Gods, but no one really knew much more than that.

Not even Diana, the resident specialist on ancient Greek mythology, was quite sure just how Captain Marvel worked. 

She had a theory, of course- one that told of an ancient Champion born of Zeus's lightning, the protector of magic and sorcerer supreme- but Cap?

Yeah... he might fit the lightning description bit, but he sure as hell didn't act like some ancient demigod- nor did he really display any magical prowess. 

Maybe that was because the League only ever called him in when they needed him to punch something, but the man had never even uttered a spell before in battle- at least, not that they'd seen anyway.

John Constantine on the other hand? 

Well, these two were like day and night. 

Where Captain Marvel was sunshine and golden rays, Constantine was darkness and moonlight- mysterious and wrapped so tightly up in the occult that it practically radiated off the man wherever he went. 

He was a foul-mouthed, bad-tempered, chain-smoking magician with a habit for finding trouble- whether it was due to his mouth or his reputation.

Everyone knew John was powerful- Zatanna swore by the man, told the heroes that he was one of the best magicians she'd ever met and/or worked with, and his skills spoke for themselves. 

He was known as the Hellblazer for a reason- many a demon feared his presence.

It was safe to assume that these two, being so different in nature, would never get along.

So when Zatanna wasn't able to look into a mystical situation and Batman assigned the pair to look into it, no one thought it would end well.

No one would have guessed just how wrong they could have been.

- - -

Captain Marvel leaned against the armrest of his chair as he listened to Batman explain the mission parameters to him, Constantine, and the rest of the League. 

It had been way too long since he'd worked with his mentor on a job- though it was weird to have the League acting as this third party in the background, he would admit.

He glanced at the blonde, who was leaning back in his own chair, rubbing the bridge of his nose with a face that the demigod knew well said "I'm barely listening to you; you're lucky I'm too tired to interrupt right now".