The Field Trip

~ ~ ~ Field Trip ~ ~ ~

* Enjoy! *

Fawcett City Elementary, where young minds go to learn about the world around them and what they can do in it. This was the school young Billy Batson attended, though sparingly as it may be. On this particular day, the fourth graders of the school were taking a field trip to the neighboring city, Metropolis. They were due to tour and learn about the inner workings of the Daily Planet, as well as the people who work there.

Billy grumbled to himself as he stood in line to board the bright yellow bus that sat in the parking lot. The school-provided sack lunch was clutched tightly in one hand, his other rubbing the fresh bruise under his eye.

Earlier in the morning, Billy had stopped a group of 6th graders from taking a 2nd grader's backpack and had been rewarded with a shiner under his left eye. He had been late to class because of this and had gotten chewed out by the teacher, Mrs. Briggs.

Now, though, as he rubbed the mark, he began to think about the place he and his classmates were going. Metropolis was known for a couple of things- being a massive, shining city full of urban advances, the newspaper company that branched all over America, and being the home to the Kryptonian himself, Superman.

Billy chuckled to himself as he thought of the look on Clark's face when he walked in with his classmates, hoping he'd forgive him for acting his age and being absolutely fascinated by the man's job- or, looking like it, at least.

He took a seat near the front, scooting over until he was against the window. Since the boy spent most of his time delivering newspapers, he hadn't really gotten the chance to know any of his classmates. He took a deep breath and let it out, the air fogging up the cool glass. He pressed his finger against it, dragging it around to make a stick person wearing a cape.

He smiled to himself at the drawing, which was beginning to fade. Billy then closed his eyes and leaned back into his seat, taking the chance to lay down and catch up on some sleep he'd been missing.

He felt a slight lurch and the vibration of the bus's motor beneath telling him that they were now in motion. The boy relaxed in his seat, his eyes closed until he needed to be awoken.

~ ~ ~

Billy was woken up by the sudden stopping of the bus, throwing him off his seat and into the floor. He grunted and pushed himself up, wincing when he hit his head on the bottom of his own seat. The boy rubbed the back of his head nad looked up to find his teacher staring at him unimpressed. "If you're finished with your nap, Mr. Batson?" she asked, her tone harsh.

Billy looked around to find the other children snickering and not looking in his direction. He sighed, picking himself up and sitting back down on his seat. "Sorry Ma'am," he mumbled with a downward glance.

The teacher shook her head, looking at her clipboard. "Alright children, we've arrived at the corner of Fifth Street and Concord Lane, in Metropolis. Can anyone tell me where that is?" she asked, her tone noticeably more light-hearted.

When no hands were raised she sighed, pointing to the building in the bus was parked in front of. "We are here to take a tour of the Daily Planet, a very well known newspaper company. We are NOT here to look for Superman boys and girls, so don't get any ideas," she warned, looking at Billy.

So that was the reputation he had now. See, whenever Billy was in school and needed to Shazam, he would always need to make up an excuse. Him not being a very creative individual when it comes to lying always had the same excuse- "I thought I saw Superman".