Spilled Beans | PART 1

* SUMMARY *

Billy Batson has successfully kept his secret identity a secret for nearly six months, even after he joined the Justice League and came under the watchful eye of Batman.

However, after a particularly nasty attack hits Captain Marvel hard and he goes down, the League is about to find out just why the Captain acts so childish at times.

(YES, I realize that both the villain and idea are kinda overused, but I have not had much exposure to the DC universe, so please cut me some slack there...)

~ ~ ~

* Enjoy! *

Clouds blocked the sun out and cast down a gloomy light from the sky as Captain Marvel, the "World's Mightiest Mortal" hovered in the air. The day was made even dimmer by the surroundings of the superhero and the team to which he belonged to.

The land looked war-torn, trees snapped and boulders overturned. The Justice League had been called into action on the account of a distress call somewhere in Europe, and, having arrived at the location, were promptly thrown into the midst of battle against a muscular man in an outfit that seemed to mirror the Captain's, though in black.

The Captain narrowed his eyes as he narrowly dodged an attack from Black Adam, looking around for something he could use as cover. The caped hero glanced at the ground where league members lay strewn about, in various positions of pain or unconsciousness.

Even Superman, with all his might, was no match for the magical power that he and his pointy-eared opposite possessed. Marvel dodged another attack, diving through the air to avoid a burst of crackling lighting that came towards him. "Adam! Why are you doing this?!" he yelled, trying to reason with the angered man. He wasn't known for being rational, but the hero couldn't help but try.

Captain Marvel narrowed his eyes as Adam simply seemed to laugh, giving him a look as if his motives should have been obvious. He decided that since reasoning wouldn't work, the caped crusader would have to resort to another means of taking the man down.

He began to circle his arms quickly, the speed of Mercury taking over as funnels of wind formed from them. The tornados that formed around Marvel's arms pulled in everything that surrounded them- boulders, soil, branches- they even had begun to pick up some of the leaguers, but failed to move Adam an inch.

The raven-haired hero abruptly stopped the gusts, glancing back at some of the more injured members as he scanned the area in an attempt to formulate a plan. He furrowed his brow as he witnessed Green Lantern and Batman attempting to sneak up on the villain. Marvel's eyes widened at the sight, glancing at Adam to see a smirk growing on his face. "GUYS WAIT!!" He said, launching himself towards them in a flash of light.

Captain Marvel barreled into the pair just as Adam turned and shot a blast of magical energy at them. They successfully dodged the attack, the swirling black energy crashing into the forest line and turning it to ash. The trio were still sailing through the air as the attack met a target, and they were sent crashing into the ground from the impact.

The Captain did his best to take most of the blow, but didn't manage to take it all. The edges of Batman's cape were singed, and his costume was torn and bloodied in several spots. Lantern looked generally unscathed, except for the part where his very being seemed to flicker.

The hero looked back to where Adam watched smugly from the sky, seeming to radiate satisfaction. "The Wizard was a fool to choose a child to replace me." he boomed, his voice echoing through the forest. The members of the League who still had some form of consciousness gave the villain confused looks, looking to Marvel for clarification. He ignored the startled glances in favor of flying up to meet the ancient man face to face.