How To Throw A Punch

Batman takes notice of Captain Marvel's sudden improvement in fighting techniques.

- - -

Billy had always been interested in sports- when he was younger he'd been really into baseball, it was his father's favorite game after all, and Billy had always wanted to be just like his dad.

As he got older, though, that interest shifted from baseball to soccer, and his parents supported him in the interest. After they'd died, he'd shied away from the activities all together; they were too painful of a reminder of his life before.

After he became Captain Marvel, Billy started to become interested in mixed martial arts and boxing.

Sure, it was fun, but he was more interested in learning how to throw a punch and guard against attacks from trained villains than potentially getting even against bullies.

(Not that he'd ever do that, he knew better, an eye for an eye and the world goes blind and all that.)

The only problem, however, was that lessons cost money, and that was something Billy didn't really have a lot of.

Ever.

That was how he had ended up watching from the outside window as classes went on and trying to replicate the moves on his own. These classes usually went on in the evening, and most of the time the sensei's were so focused on their students that they wouldn't notice him, but one time in particular, he'd been caught practicing a move in front of the window and had been seen.

This led to his small body being dragged into the building and being given a short lesson on his form and what he'd been doing wrong after the class was over.

The teacher's name was Darren, and he and Billy ended up striking up a deal. Billy could join his classes if he was willing to help clean up afterward and sweep the floor in return.

The boy was more than happy to agree and silently thankful that the man had probably taken pity on him. Most of the time, he couldn't stand any kind of pity, but after Darren had explained that he knew what it was like growing up on the street and not being able to defend himself, Billy was more than willing to accept his teachings.

Sure, the man was no Batman, but there was no way the 10-year-old was going to the Dark Knight and asking him to teach him how to punch or kick.

He'd probably get laughed right out of Gotham.

Plus, he was still kind of trying to avoid the big three after the League had found out about his age and put him on suspension.

Without being able to go on League missions unless it was an emergency and kind of being restricted to his own town, Billy found himself really needing to occupy his time, so what better way than actually trying to better his fighting skills?