There's A Hero

(Yes, this is based off Billy Gilman's song- I suggest you listen to this song while reading, its legit what I think Billy's singing voice sounds like- I mean, the names are too perfect.) 

12-year-old Billy Batson decides to participate in his school's talent show, singing a song his mother used to sing to him when he was younger.

~ ~ ⏃ ~ ~

It had been six weeks coming. Fawcett Elementary School was holding its annual talent show for the students, and Billy had excitedly signed up when it was first announced.

He was planning on singing a song his parents had always sung to him and had even learned to play the guitar from the school's music teacher just for the occasion. 

He was proud to say that he could play the song completely, and rarely ever messed up a chord.

The night of the show itself was only two days away, and Billy was currently sitting on his weathered bed, thinking to himself, questioning whether or not it was a good idea to invite the League.

He set down the guitar his music teacher had loaned him on the bed, standing up and looking out the boarded up window of the abandoned building. It was a quiet night, no clouds to cover up the stars brilliant light.

He smiled at them, resting his chin on the frame as he stared out at the sky.

The raven haired boy glanced back at the guitar, chewing on the inside of his cheek in thought.

On one hand, the league could be insulted, horrified to be asked to a child's petty talent show. It could be beneath them, and Billy didn't want to bother them with his childish activities. 

He thought that maybe they were still mad at him for keeping his identity a secret- even though they had known for nearly two years now, but still...

But on the other hand, Billy thought, what if they were thrilled? Maybe the heroes would appreciate seeing kids come together to show off what they can do. 

The raven-haired boy knew for a fact that some of the kids were going to read off poems they had written in honor of superheroes, so maybe if nothing else, they would enjoy that.

He made up his mind, turning away from the window and picking up his guitar. He'd go up to the Watchtower the next day and invite everyone then.

~ ~ ⏃ ~ ~

It was bright and early when the zeta tube went off in the Watchtower, Captain Marvel stepping through, his arms filled with envelopes. He looked around, lighting up when he spotted Diana, Hal, and Constantine sitting around a table, a coffee in each of their hands.

"Hey guys!" he said cheerfully, a beaming smile on his face as he walked up to them.

"Good morning Captain. What do you have there?" Diana asked, tilting her head as he looked at the mountain of envelopes in the hero's arms.

"Oh these? They're invitations! I got one for each of you-" he said, bending over slightly so the trio could grab one each. 

"They're for my school's talent show. We were told to invite out friends and family, and since I kinda only have one of the two, I decided to invite the League!" he said cheerfully, shifting the papers in his arms.

"You don't have to come, but it'd be amazing if you guys did," he said, leaving them with the envelopes. The Captain walked through the halls, handing out envelopes to just about every hero he passed.