Rules Aren't For Everyone

- - -

Billy Batson was no ordinary child.

On the surface, he was a 12-year-old boy with slightly greasy raven-colored hair and bright blue eyes, a penchant for mischief and a heart so big you could fit a whale inside. 

However, Billy Batson was no ordinary little boy. In fact, the more you looked into him, the more things seemed just slightly off about the child.

Like the fact that he was orphaned at age 4 and yet had been enrolled in school and managed to have near-perfect attendance since the 1st grade. 

Or how he would sometimes show up with bags under his eyes or much too large bruises on his body that would entail something be wrong, yet his attitude is just as chipper as always. 

Or how the boy would sometimes vanish between periods, only to show up before the end of the day without an explanation as to where he had been.

No, Billy Batson was not a normal child in the slightest. Though, how could he be? No child could be normal AND a superhero at the same time.

Billy Batson is a boy that was blessed by the Gods at age 10, given their powers to wield and transformed into the Champion of Magic-- a hero he'd come to call Captain Marvel. 

He'd been in the hero game for two years now, taking on bad guys and putting them away when Fawcett City police just weren't enough. He'd made a couple of friends along the way, plenty of enemies, and quite a few fans if he didn't say so himself.

But this- this was a whole different beast entirely.

This was Middle School after all.

The scrawny boy swallowed thickly as he started up at the red brick building, his faded green backpack shouldered and straps gripped tightly. 

He really shouldn't be so nervous, it was just another grade to move through, but he'd heard horror stories from older boys about how strict the principal and teachers were, how many rules there were. 

Billy was a free spirit, a force for good that couldn't be tied to his desk while someone might need his help.

So yea, he was a little worried.

"You just gonna stand there with that twisted, queasy face or are you gonna go inside, dude?"

The voice of Freddy Freeman, Billy's best friend, confidant, and brother from another mother sounded out in his ears, making the 12-year-old turn his head to look at the blonde boy with crutches under his arms. 

He glanced back up at the Fawcett Middle School plaque on the front of the building once more before looking back at his best friend.

"I'm just putting it off for as long as I can," Billy replied, chewing on the skin of his bottom lip as other middle-schoolers walked passed the pair without a second glance.