chapter six

Iris

I can remember that night pretty well.

It was a full moon outside, it was the kind of moon that feels like a fever dream, big noticeable and a pale yellow colour. My father and I had gotten ice cream there was no celebration or reasoning for getting it, my father told me it was good to have a little sugar once in a while.

 It was just the two of us. Mateo was at a sleepover at his friend's house so he wouldn't be joining us tonight to get ice cream.

We also got my mother's favourite ice cream in a cup, my mother had been working long hours recently and Dad wanted to show his appreciation for her. Dad was ecstatic too, he wanted to make Mom smile, and after all those years he truly still cherished her so much.

Once we parked in front of our house I couldn't help but feel the atmosphere was different, maybe Dad could tell too. Cold. It all felt very cold and dark.

I could hear faint sounds of muffled voices before we opened the door. We entered the foyer and as soon as the lights were turned on I heard a, "What the fuck?" 

 My eyes were covered in a second by my father's calloused hands.

I heard my mom break out into a sob. My dad ignored her and calmly took his hands off my eyes and whispered, "Iris, take your ice cream upstairs. Okay?"

 I never dared to look at my mother's face. I trudged up those hardwood stairs in our family home. Family pictures littered the walls, my eyes glanced from my big toothy smile to my mother's impassive expression.

"This isn't what it looks like Peter!" I overheard my mom argue. I could also make out another person's voice,  it sounded like a guy with a higher voice-- and it wasn't Dad's.

"What is it then, Evelyn?" My father countered. My head spun and my knees felt like they were going to buckle in. What's going on? That's the question that was in my head back then. 

Eleven years ago.  That was the last time I ever called someone my 'mom'. The day that selfish woman abandoned us, and ran off with that young prick. To this day she hasn't said a word. She discarded the people who cared about her the most. 

"Fuck you--"

"Iris!" Alexia shakes my shoulders for maybe the fifth time. 

I hand back Alexia's phone, on it was a picture of Alexia's mom and her little sister eating at an Ice Cream Shop. It was the same one my father and I went to that night. I gaze over to see her newly done bubblegum pink hair done by yours truly pinned up into two lazy space buns.

"Do you remember what's tonight?" She observes two different outfits laid out on her bed.

When I don't answer, she gives me a look that translates to, 'Are you stupid?' and to be fair sometimes I am.

I was focused on other things like this morning at the coffee shop. I saw Aaron again, he looked so good and I almost forgot about it. He's tall, I'd say around six-foot-three with dark brunette hair and pretty dark blue eyes. He puts every guy I've been with to shame looks-wise.

 I bet he puts them to shame personality-wise too. I've met him twice and he's never without a book in his hand. I like how time can go so quickly with him but only feels like a second. I don't know, I just wish he didn't have to leave so soon.

I just enjoy my time with this guy. And that normally doesn't happen because I have a lot of other people in my life who I can 'enjoy my time with' in a slightly-- okay, completely different way.

I've run into the guy two times and still have not found any way to contact him. I should've got his number or something. 

"Hello? Focus!" She sighs dramatically, throwing her back on the bed and outstretches her arms. She almost hits me straight in the stomach.