chapter seventeen

Iris

Walking back to my seat looks like such a hassle right now.

I step through people in the stands trying to get in my seat when I hear a wolf whistle in my direction. I turn around to see a bunch of frat guys with their khaki shorts sipping white claws. One of them sends me a knowing smirk.

I roll my eyes, ignoring the idiocy.

"Hey, you're back!" Alexia waves at me, I try to not bother any people as I make my way back to my seat.

I sat down next to her, and when I was gone she bought hotdogs and SunChips. Gratefulness fills me up, she got me my favourite chips for us to share. She hands me the hotdog with ketchup, it's also decked out with beans, chicken, and cheese.

"How's Crystal?" Her eyes stay on the field, halftime has just started and the cheerleaders just started their routine.

"She's not okay, but she will be soon," I reply, taking a bite of the hotdog.

She knowingly nods. Alexia turns to me, her dark eyes meeting mine. A grin breaks into her face, "Can you give me a piece of your hotdog?" She asks looking up at me.

Ah fuck. I haven't had that much food today either.

"Here," I grumble, ripping a piece of the hotdog filled with toppings and handing it to her.

Sharing is caring. That's what my kindergarten teacher would say.

And of course most of the time they would be right. But that doesn't mean I want to share.

The game finished solidly for us. Our football team pulled out 20–17, which is probably going to give them even more coverage than they had before. Mostly on Zack, the star QB1, but people will be talking about the rookie. Parker Mcintosh, a freshman wide receiver, scored a touchdown with a twenty-three-yard run.

Alexia and I waited in the parking lot outside the stadium, more specifically the tunnel, watching the many football and cheerleaders leaving after the game. More specifically we're waiting for Crystal.

There are a lot of people around here, some hot as fuck girls trying to get lucky tonight, players' families, some fans, and our school's newspaper probably are here too.

Crystal took all the time in the world to come out, she walks out of there with a loose t-shirt and shorts. Her hair's let loose from that painfully tight ponytail she always wears when in cheer. Seriously, it probably hurts after you take your hair out of that tight-ass ponytail.

Alexia and I each congratulate her on how well she did because that's what best friends do and she was amazing out there.

"Oh, shucks you guys it was nothing." She flips her hair. Not an ounce of modesty is detectable in her voice. "Well, it was actually everything."

"Not going to lie it–" I start to say before I get a tap on my shoulder.

"Miss me?" A voice whispers in my ear. I visibly jump away, startled at the voice. Then try to process what the fuck is happening. Strangers have got to stop sneaking up on people like that. I swear, it's not okay for anyone's health and well-being.

Except I know the guy who's sneaking up on me.

"Zack, always a pleasure." I smile at him. Man, this guy is lucky I recognized his voice, 'cause I was about to elbow a bitch in the face.

He grins widely at me. His blond hair was pushed back and wet probably from his after-game shower in the locker room. A few guys on their way out tell Zack 'good game' or do that 'bro pat on the back' thing on their way out.