chapter forty-nine

Aaron

I've attended my family's annual Charity Gala a variety of different times, and not one of those times have I ever danced. Dancing in front of others with another person has never interested me at all. Even when I was forced to take a date, I never had any desire to dance with them. Often I'd get Jadon who'd happily take my forced date instead.

Though things have changed, Iris pulls my hand as we weave to a space on the ballroom floor. She's the only person I've ever brought to this event that wasn't forced by my parents, otherwise, I've never brought anyone else.

I'll go anywhere she goes. If she has the desire to dance, I'll gladly dance with her.

Soft sharp music reverberates through the transformed museum, we settle in an area close to the middle, but also far away enough from the people dancing near us so we don't bump into them.

Iris stands in front of me, and my gaze drifts down to her tall high heels. I wonder if those are painful to wear. When my gaze drifts back up, she dons a bemused smirk.

"Do you like my stripper heels?" She asks, showing off her heels in different angles for me.

"I love them," I tell her earnestly, I don't think my stance holds much weight in this situation because she wears them regardless. "But if you need a moment to sit down if they hurt after a while, let me know."

"I'll be sure to remember that." She hums in response.

I place a hand on her lower back, and we fall into step together. Between the two of us, I was the one who led. I'm grateful that those stuck-up teachers from my academy days taught us how to dance. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to dance with my girl, and seeing her disappointed was dreadful.

"Are you going to show off to everyone here how to twirl a girl properly?" A small smile plays on her lips, and I put a tiny amount of pressure on her back to pull her closer to my chest. She's still not close to being taller than me even with her shoes.

There was something so intimate about dancing with someone so close like this that I never want to experience it with anyone else. We sway back and forth to the music, "I have to ask, are you going to try and twirl me like a fool in front of everyone else if I do?"

Her small smile turns into a full-blown grin, "Stop acting like you don't secretly enjoy it when I make you spin too." My finger brushes her back gently back and forth. She's not wearing a bra either, and I assume it's because the dress is backless.

I scoff, shaking my head and raise our connected hands over her head. Her warm whisky eyes glint in amusement and approval when she realizes what I'm doing. She chuckles to herself while doing a little twirl.

A wave of emotion crashes into me, she's...I can't even put it into words. I hope I make her feel even a fraction of what I feel for her. She returns to swaying back and forth from her twirl.

"Are you happy?" My question comes out way more weighty than I intended. I observe the thoughtful expression she wears after listening to my question. My pulse thrashes against my skin when she lowers her head on my chest.

After a long moment, she answered, "I don't believe that there can be a true connection between two people without happiness," She adds, "If there isn't any happiness when challenges arise they'll never come out of it together because they're no joyful memories to fight for." She peers up at me to gauge my reaction.

"I love hearing your perspective," I mumble into her ear, "I love hearing you talk." I love you, I add in my head for no one else to hear.

She raises a hand cupping my cheek, "I'm very happy. You make me very happy."