chapter thirty-one

Iris

The week has been going by too quickly to count, school has been my main focus. I've been swamped with assignments from all my classes.

I still avoid Sienna in class, or rather she actually avoids me by not daring to look, speak or be within a five-foot radius beside me. Mel has obviously sensed some kind of distress between us yet hasn't said shit.

The day after I hit the bar with Aaron I woke up with a nasty-ass hangover. I can't put my finger on why I chose to get shit-faced after Aaron said we'd make experiences together. Making a promise like that... I don't know if it just made me feel untroubled for the first time in my life.

Not just that but another weird feeling too.

But that wasn't even the weirdest part of it at all, in that specific morning while sluggishly sipping on water Alexia says, 'Aaron's not a bad dude.'

Well duh, he isn't. But hearing that from Alexia caused me to choke on my water like a complete dumbass.

The first time they really met was when he came over with Taco Bell and Alexia lowkey gave him the cold shoulder. Then the morning after that she's all 'Aaron's not an asshole, yeah?'.

Before I could respond she gets up and walks off as if nothing has happened.

That was from the other day, now I just got through a week filled with work and I'm almost too excited for Thanksgiving. Even though I have no plans to celebrate as my brother is busy and my father is working too, leaving me alone. So the plan is to stay holed up in my room, probably playing Mario Kart and drinking Sprite.

The tree I'm sitting under, paired with the light breeze feels almost fresh. The person beside me is not too bad as well.

"What're you doing for Thanksgiving?" I ask Aaron, his body is relaxed against the tree with his hands full with what seems to be a new novel he recently bought.

"Nothing. My parents are abroad, Sawyer's staying at the Vet for a checkup and Liana has the day off." He answers casually. My eyes drift off in his direction, his head raises from his book to question me. "What about you?"

An idea pops off in my head like a firework, "Nothing. But what if instead, I celebrate with my friends?" It'll be like one of those Friendsgiving, where you celebrate with your friends. Alexia and Crystal are both staying here for Thanksgiving.

"So no me, then?" Aaron chuckles, his eyes meet mine, and his usual blush is present. The colour reminds me of what I'd imagine red fall leaves looked like.

"Of course, you." I shake my head, "You're my friend after all."

He smiles but there's something that's missing from the usual Aaron type of smile I'm used to.

"A Friendsgiving sounds pleasurable."

"Pleasurable? Your charming school days are really peeking out." I tease him, even though secretly I like the way he talks. I lean my back on the old tree looking for any extra space it had for me that Aaron didn't take up.

He just narrows his eyes at me, acting like he's annoyed when I know he's not.

************

"Iris, thanks for having me and the Dumbasses." Jadon hugs me with a store-bought pumpkin pie in his hands.

"Real rich coming from you." Parker counters, crossing his arms.

Aaron gives me a 'what-can-ya-do?' look, shrugging his shoulders at his friend's bickering.