四十二

It happened eight years before Junhui's wedding-the party.

It was the day before Junhui's birthday and some of the boys were preparing for the surprise party.

"I think that looks fine." Jisoo tilted his head. "How does it taste?"

Minghao took a tiny bit of the frosting with a spoon and tasted it. "It's alright, I guess. Try it."

"Is it done?" Seungkwan said, slurping on his caramel macchiato. "Can I taste it?"

"Seungkwan, have you finished doing the things I told you to do?" Minghao raised an eyebrow.

"Geez. We're almost done, okay?" Seungkwan sighed. "Want some?" He offered his drink.

"You already know that I don't drink coffee." Minghao replied.

Ring~ Ring~

"Oh my god! Your phone's ringing!" Seungkwan screeched, panicking. "It's probably Jun!"

"Minghao! Jun's calling! What do I do?" Seokmin yelled from the other side of the room.

Minghao washed his hands, removing the frosting in his hands, and wiping them down with a tissue. "Give it to me."

Seokmin handed the phone to Jisoo and Jisoo gave it to Minghao.

Jisoo lightly slapped Seokmin and Seungkwan, telling them to be quiet, and when he gave the 'go' signal, Minghao answered the call.

Minghao took a deep breath. "Hello, Jun?"

"Hao, It's midnight! It's my birthday!"

"Oh, right. Happy birthday, Jun."

"Hao, what time are you coming back? What time is your flight back from Jeju? Should I pick you up? Yeah, I'll pick you up."

"Uh... actually, Jun, about that..."

"Yeah...?"

"I might not get back to Seoul tomorrow."

"...W-What?"

"Sorry, Jun. Turns out that there weren't any seats left available for tomorrow."

"B-But..."

"Sorry, Jun. I'll make it up to you. I promise."

"..."

"I'll arrive the day after tomorrow, okay? Don't get too sulky, Jun."

"..."

"Jun?"

"O-Okay..."

"Sorry, Jun. I swear, I'll make it up to you somehow. Happy birthday, Jun."

"Mm. Okay."

"Seungkwan told me to tell you that he said 'happy birthday'."

"Okay, tell him I said 'thanks'."

"Will do."

"..."

"Sorry, Jun, but I'm a little tired today, so..."

"O-Oh, okay. Go to sleep. Good night, Hao."

"Night, Jun. Happy birthday."

The call ended.

Everyone exhaled as if they were all holding their breath.

"That was lowkey scary." Seokmin chuckled.

"I don't think he'd find out." Jisoo said.

Seungkwan sighed. "I kinda miss Jeju now."

The four boys were currently preparing for the surprise party tomorrow. Minghao had not been in the apartment with Junhui for a few days under the excuse of: 'Seungkwan dragged me to go to a vacation with him to Jeju Island and I won't be home for a few days'. Thus, the reason why Jeju was mentioned during their call and why Seungkwan was with them. Minghao and Seungkwan had been staying at Jisoo and Seokmin's apartment for the past few days as it was the second nearest one to his and Junhui's apartment. He could've stayed over at Mingyu and Wonwoo's apartment, but they figured that they might get caught if Junhui makes a sudden visit or may raise suspicion. So, Seokmin and Jisoo's place was the their best bet.