Chapter 100

It turns out that Reapers are more savage than Grounders. The thought makes me feel so uneasy, but...it's for our own good.

Lincoln was displeased at the idea and it took Finn too long to try and convince him. It didn't take much convincing for me.

"What's the bad idea?" I had mumbled, staring down at the drawing of a Reaper whose eyes seemed to be staring into my soul. What's left of it anyway.

I had to give Lincoln credit for his skills, the drawing is miles better than anything I could ever do.

"We use the Reapers against the Grounders." Finn explained. "We lure them back to camp, the Grounders will be distracted and turn their attention on them, which can buy us time to help Raven and get everyone safely inside the dropship."

"No," Lincoln said firmly, with a shake of his head and hard eyes. "Absolutely not, Finn. The Reapers are ruthless."

But Finn had made a good point—we were a camp of delinquents from Space, fighting against an army of Grounders. If we don't track down the Reapers and use them to our advantage... we're all dead. We need them to buy Raven and Clarke time to fire the rockets and keep us alive. We need them to help us keep Raven alive.

"Let's try." I said, looking at Finn and nodding. "What's the worst that can happen?"

So now here we are; Finn, Lincoln and I running through the woods with only the stars and moon as our guiding light. Despite already moving as fast as our legs could go, the hoard of Reapers screeching and snarling right behind us seems to encourage us to go faster. Their feet pound hard on the ground, though I'm surprised I can hear it over the loud beat of my heart.

I had lost my sling somewhere along the way, my left arm swinging and burning as I run for my life. Tears from the pain have long since dried on my face, now I'm just using it to push myself further, to get back to the camp. To Raven. To Bellamy.

It hadn't taken Lincoln long to find them, or maybe they were the ones who eventually found us. When I first saw them I thought they weren't much different to Grounders, but I soon realised that their urge to kill is much, much stronger.

Ahead of me, Lincoln effortlessly slides in the dirt and disappears over a short ledge made of hard earth, landing on his feet like he's done it a thousand times. I stop short, terrified of doing myself more damage. I don't have much time to think of it as Finn appears from behind.

"Come on!" He shouts in passing as he grabs my right arm and slides down like Lincoln did, dragging me down with him.

Sucking in a large breath from the shock, I don't have much time to process the fall as I suddenly find myself back on solid ground, Lincoln's arms grabbing me to help absorb the impact.

I free myself from his grasp, turn away from them both and release the contents of my stomach at the base of a nearby tree, the pain from my arm causing the nausea. I spit out the remaining contents from my mouth a couple times, not able to rid the taste of my own vomit, which only makes it worse.

"You goo-" High above in the sky, an explosion erupts, interrupting Lincoln. All of us pant heavily as we look up at the sky. Through the trees and brighter than all the stars, a bright light shines and grows larger.

"What is that?" Lincoln asks quietly.

"The Ark," I tell him, wiping my mouth with my sleeve and watching as the light brighter than any star I've ever seen starts falling towards the Earth.

After the connection was lost after Unity Day, we thought they had eventually run out of air, I guess not.

"At least we won't be alone anymore." Finn says.

I didn't know what to think. There was a time I caused 300 innocents to die, just so we could avoid the rest of the Ark coming down to take over. But then there was a time where I almost lost Finn, and they helped save him. Now we're caught up in a war we'll be lucky to survive.

Maybe we do need the rest of Ark here to help us survive.

I feel sick again.

"We need to move," I say sharply, any
moment we waste gives the Reapers more time to catch up. Just like us however, it seems they got distracted by the Ark, as their snarling and heavy steps had retracted.

"You two go, get a head start." Lincoln whispers. "I'll bring them the rest of the way."

"No way," Finn starts to protest, but Lincoln cuts him off.

"Go." He says firmly. "Carter is struggling, get her back behind your wall."

"I'm fine," I defend, eyebrows furrowed. Both boys look at me, neither one seeming to believe me.

Finn nods, "Alright, let's go."

I go to protest, to ask Finn if why he trusts Lincoln won't betray us and end up getting the Reapers on side with the Grounders—against us. For all we know this is all just a big ploy, Lincoln could have been sent by his Queen to spy on us, using Octavia to do so. I don't know why the thought hadn't come to me sooner. For some reason though, it isn't really a thought, just an excuse. Something inside my mind tells me to just go, to trust him.

So instead I look at Finn and nod, looking back at Lincoln one last time before following Finn back to camp which we can see in the distance.

The closer we get, the more chaos floods my senses. The sounds of gunfire pierces the air, shouts of help and orders comes from both sides. Grounders are yelling and running towards our once strong and reassuring wall...now it looks like child's play.

Finn has a tight hold of my hand as we stay as hidden as possible, crouched behind a large bramble and trying to think of a way inside that won't get us killed.

"Shit," he whispers, his eyes frantically scanning our surrounding.

"Finn..." I don't even know what it is I want to say. Did we make a mistake by leaving? Are the Reapers going to help, or make things worse?

There's fear laced in my words, I don't even want to try and cover it up.

We lock eyes, accepting a mutual understanding. It seems neither of us have the words to say it, but that's okay.

"No goodbyes." Finn says, certainty in his voice.

My heart lurches at the words, the same words I said to him and Raven just before I was placed in lock up four years ago. At the time I thought those were the last words I would ever say to them.

The same thought crosses my mind now as I repeat those words back to him. "No goodbyes."