Chapter 77

"I think I'm gonna be sick."

My face scrunches up at the putrid smell of ash and burning flesh that floods my nostrils. Even if it weren't for the smell, the sight alone was enough to make my stomach churn.

"Have some respect," Finn sends me a disapproving look. "We told you not to come."

"I'm trying to be supportive," I hiss, narrowing me eyes at him.

"Yeah, well try harder."

"Enough you two." Bellamy comes over to us, gun in hand and gives Finn and hard look. "Go help Raven, Carter come with me."

He walks away and I follow, not wanting to stay with judgemental Finn for a moment longer.

We walk over to a vacant part of the crash site, standing near multiple ash piles.

"Here," Bellamy passes me his water canteen from his pack.

"I have my own," I decline.

"No, you did have your own. You finished it on the way up here."

I purse my lips. Damn him and his perceptiveness.

I accept the canteen and take a sip, letting the water settle my stomach a little bit.

"Better?"

"No." I sigh, passing back his canteen.

Bellamy puts his canteen away and studies me. I try to act as if I don't know, but after a short while of uncomfortable silence I can't help but fidget and turn to him scowling.

"Stop that."

"Stop what?" He all but laughs.

"Stop analysing me."

"I'm not 'analysing' you. I'm just..."

I raise an eyebrow, pushing him to continue.

"I'm just looking," he confesses.

"At my bloody nose?" I roll my eyes, "I bet I look gorgeous."

I hadn't realised—either due to the adrenaline or numbness—but when I fell and hit my face on my gun the night before, I caused my nose to bleed. It wasn't broken, just a bit tender. I tried to clean it as best I could but I'm pretty sure there's still dried blood on my face.

"No more than usual." Bellamy smirks and I glare at him.

"Now isn't the time for messing around, Bellamy." I scold, looking around the area before us and shivering. "We're practically in a graveyard."

Bellamy is quiet for a moment, looking over at our friends. "Now we're all orphans."

I lower my gaze. Technically, I'm not an orphan, my mother is still alive, she still lives on the Ark. She isn't really much of a mother to me anymore though, just like how I'm not really much of a daughter.

So I guess, if you weren't to read much into it, I am an orphan.

"The orphan delinquents," I say, "how...definitive."

Bellamy and I share a look before we make our way back to the main debris area, standing near Finn and Raven.

"Clarke shouldn't be out here," I hear Finn say, watching the blonde from afar.

"Her mom was on the ship." Raven tells him, "she's looking for answers. You wanna help her, find me the blackbox, hard drives...anything that will explain why the ship crashed."

"Stay sharp." Bellamy commands the gunners walking around. "Grounder retaliation for what happened on the bridge is coming. Just a matter of when."

"Can you blame them?" Finn says sarcastically.

My eyes lie on a burnt skeleton three feet away, causing me to squirm and look away quickly, fighting down the bile rising in my throat.

"No, I blame you," Bellamy fires back, watching as I quickly walk ahead of him.

"Maybe if you didn't bring guns—"

"If we didn't bring guns, we all would've been killed." Raven says loudly and firmly, giving Finn an annoyed look.

"Why they're coming doesn't matter anymore. It's our job to be ready when they do. We're on our own now."

"We've always been on our own." I remind them all, shaking my head. 

It was foolish of us to get our hopes up about having contact with the Ark. Bellamy and I were right all along.

"Clarke stop!" Raven runs ahead to where Clarke stands, hand to her mouth and we all follow, curious as to what it is Clarke has found.

"Hydrazine." I hear Raven say, crouching down before a tank with pink liquid dripping out. "Highly unstable in its non-solid form. If this stuff meets fire, we're all pink mist."

Raven carefully dips a rock into the hydrazine and stands, "fire in the hole!" She throws the rock over into a fire ablaze in ditch, the flames turning into an explosion that has me jumping back, the bright light scorching my eyes and sending a sharp stab of pain through my head momentarily.

"We need to clear the area."

"Okay then," Bellamy nods and turns to the gunners behind us as I rub my hands over my eyes to try and rid the light haze. "We move in formation, no straggling, weapons hot. We got to get back before dark."

I follow after everyone, walking in silence once more as we venture back to camp.