Chapter 91

It's dawn when Octavia runs over to Bellamy and I, both of us still standing outside the drop ship waiting for Raven to confirm a way to sneak inside.

"I just heard Murphy has Jasper," she says, slightly breathless.

"Yeah. South foxhole done?" Bellamy asks, as if psychopaths holding your friends for ransom was an everyday occurrence.

"What?" Octavia looks between myself and her brother. "Bellamy my friend's in there with a killer!"

Bellamy leans closer to her, "O, look around. No one's working. If the Grounders attack right now we're all dead—"

Octavia sighs before Bellamy has even finished talking and moves around us, yelling at the drop ship, "Murphy!"

Bellamy sighs and watches her with annoyance whilst I watch with curiosity. The most similar thing between the Blake siblings is the loyalty they have for the people they love. I admire that about both of them.

"Murphy, if you even touch Jasper, I swear to God, you're dead!"

"Octavia! Octavia I got this."

"Really?" She spins to face her brother with a hard look, "because it doesn't look like either of you are doing a thing about it."

"Hey," Raven quickly approaches us and keeps her voice low, "you were right. There's a loose panel on the back, if I can pop it we can get in through the floor."

Bellamy looks over at me and I nod, so he nods at Raven, "good. Do it."

Raven scurries off and Octavia suddenly looks like she regrets her previous statement. "Sorry," she whispers.

Bellamy looks at her and nods as she steps away. He looks over at me, studying me.

"You okay?"

"You're about to become a psychopath's hostage," I say to him, "so no, not really."

Bellamy smiles slightly, trying to ease the tense situation. "If I didn't know better, I'd take that as a sign that you care about me, Chris."

I'm quiet for a moment, deliberating. This might be the last time I ever see Bellamy Blake again.

"I do care about you," I admit quietly, never taking my eyes away from his. "More than I care to admit. More than I even...know."

Aware of the large crowd of delinquents standing only a few feet away from us, his sister included, Bellamy bravely steps closer towards me and tentatively takes my hand in his, rubbing his thumb over my fingers. The action, small but with so much meaning, causes my stomach to flutter.

Standing this close to one another I'm reminded of the slight height difference between us—my eyes can see over his shoulders, but I have to tilt my head back to look into his eyes.

"I know how much I care about you," he whispers, his brown eyes searching mine eagerly. "It's a feeling I didn't even know I was capable of...until I met you." Bellamy sighs and looks down at dirt between our feet. "This is something we need to talk about. Properly, I mean."