Chapter 92

"Oh, crap," I whisper when it dawns on me what I actually did. Now I know why no one asks me to come up with any plans—they end up being pretty stupid.

Bellamy looks more disappointed and shocked than mad, and Murphy merely smirks at me as I scowl.

"What the hell are you doing?!"

Scratch that, Bellamy is pissed.

Murphy chuckles, gun raised at the pair of us. "Well well, just couldn't not be a hero, huh Carter?"

"Couldn't let you have all the fun," I say to him, watching Murphy closely. Bellamy's jaw clenches so hard I'm surprised I don't hear any teeth crack.

"Let her go, Murphy. She isn't a part of this."

"No," Murphy shakes his head, a glint in his eye as a plan brews. "No, I think Carter should stay here. It's only the polite thing to do, right?"

"You don't want her," Bellamy says louder and harsher, "you want me."

"You don't know what I want," Murphy hisses before he rummages around the level, gun raised with one hand.

"You are the most problematic pain in my ass, you know that?" Bellamy whispers as he looks over at me and I give him a small, hopefully convincing smile.

"Yeah, but your life wouldn't be complete without me."

Murphy finds some spare wire and throws it at me, but I let it hit my body and fall to the floor with a scowl, not bothering to even attempt at picking it up.

"Pick it up," he says firmly and nods to the ladder beside him. "And stand over there."

When I don't move and simply glare at him some more, Murphy gives a small manic chuckle before stepping forward and raising the gun at Bellamy.

"Do it," Murphy says, "or I put a bullet in his skull."

My jaw clenches as I pick up the wire and stand next to the ladder silently.

"Don't do this, Murphy." Bellamy says to him.

"Shut up." Murphy grabs a handful of loose seatbelts and throws them at Bellamy's feet. "Tie those together."

Murphy puts down the gun only to grab the wire from my hands and tie them around my wrists and the ladder, assuring that I can't undo them.

"Don't do anything else stupid." He says lowly to me. "I don't want to hurt you, Carter."

"That's bullshit and you know it." I hiss when he tightens the wire, feeling a sharp friction on my skin.

"I told you not to hurt her!" Bellamy snaps, stepping forward.

"Don't move!" Murphy grabs the gun and aims it at Bellamy, causing me to yell,

"NO!"

I breathe out in relief and firmly hold the ladder when Murphy doesn't shoot, but instead glares at Bellamy.

"If you don't want me to hurt her, then I suggest you do as I say."

My plan—not that I really had much of one—was to help Bellamy when I got in here, but I can't really do that whilst tied up.

Well done, Chris, you've just fucked things up even more. As per usual.

Ha ha, this is why you're not supposed to be a leader. You act before you think, Christine, and always make situations worse.

"Screw you, Murphy," Bellamy hisses and I shake the taunting voice of my father from my head. "What the hell are you gonna gain from this?"

Murphy abruptly turns around and fires, I shriek and duck my head, but the bullet ricochets off the wall and onto the floor. He fired away from me as a warning.

Asshole.

"Stop!" Bellamy yells, he stands still, his hands raised in surrender and caution. "All right. All right, I'll do what you want."

"That's good." Murphy nods. "Then do what I said."

"Bellamy?"

Octavia's voice sounds through into the room via the walkie-talkie and Murphy retrieves it from his pocket with a smug look on his face.

"Carter? Bellamyare you okay?"

"You want her to know you're alive?" Murphy holds out the radio and indicates to the belts. "Start tying."

"Bellamy! Do you copy? Carter? Are you there?"

"I'm fine," Bellamy says as he crouches down and starts to tie the belts together, his eyes never leaving mine. "We're both fine. Just a misfire. Now stop worrying about us and get back to work, all of you. And tell Raven to hurry her ass up."

"All right, that's long enough."

I lean my head against the cold metal. I have complete faith that Raven will get is out of here...I know she will, we just have to stay alive long enough to help her.

"Tie those two ends together. All right. Now get up and toss it over."

Bellamy looks up at the beam, realising that Murphy wants to hang him.

"What do you achieve from this, Murphy?" I ask him, my head against the ladder as I shrug. "Charlotte's dead. So's Clarke and Connor. Is killing Bellamy really the only way you're gonna feel better about yourself?"

"Shut up, Carter." He spits out, aggravated.

My lips curve when I realise I hit a nerve. "That's it, isn't it? Bellamy hung you, so your revenge is to hang him too."

After Bellamy has thrown the long belt over he turns to Murphy. "What do you want me to say? You want me to apologise? I'm—"

Bellamy stops short when Murphy presses the gun against my back. I stiffen, my confidence suddenly gone.

"I'm sorry," Bellamy says quietly.

"You got it all wrong, Bellamy." Murphy smirks. "Carter is the one that actually—for once—" he laughs, "is right. I don't want you to say anything. I want you to feel what I felt, and then...then I want you to die. It's just an added bonus that you're here." He nudges my back with the gun and I feel my hands tighten into fists.

John Murphy is a dead man walking.