Chapter 3

Things happened so fast after Octavia set foot on the ground.

Everyone sprinted out of the drop ship, cries and shouts of joy fill my ears as I follow after my peers. I'm one of the last to step off the metal ramp from the drop ship, my boots imprinting in the fresh earth and I can't help the small smile that forms on my lips. A laugh erupts from my chest as I spin around, taking in my surroundings.

The sky is just as blue as I imagined, the white clouds floating high above. The trees are tall and loom over us and the air feels so natural and clean and fresh. And it's so green. Everywhere I look is green, the grass, the bushes, the leaves. The only contrast is the brown earth and tree trunks and the bright fires caused by the drop ship.

I stand still as I watch everyone go crazy around me, enjoying their freedom from the Ark. The thought suddenly hit me. We're never going back to the Ark. We never even have to go into Space again, we can all start new lives down here on Earth. I look down at the wristband they gave us all, curious as to what they do.

I jump as I feel a jab in my sides, spinning quickly to see the culprit, but I relax when I see a grinning Finn.

"Now what would Raven say about you being handsy with other girls?"

His smile falters slightly and he shifts to stand beside me. "Raven isn't here. Besides," he bumps his shoulder against mine, "you're not just any other girl."

I shrug nonchalantly, "True." We're both silent for a moment and I look over at Finn with a serious look, "You might see her again."

"Yeah, but I might not."

I nod, knowing he's right. Just because we made it down here safely doesn't mean the rest of the Ark will. Besides, we don't even know how to contact them to tell them it's safe.

A dark thought creeps into my mind, do I even want the rest of the Ark to come down? We all know the Chancellor has made our lives hell, and that he could've killed us all today by sending us down here. Some people still have families up on the Ark--god knows Finn would want to see his girlfriend again--but not everyone does. I don't. I can thank Chancellor Jaha for that.

I look over at Finn, the person I've known most of my life. He's disappointed in the person I've become, I know that--even though he would never say it to my face--but surely he would understand my reasons for not wanting the Ark, the people who ruined my life, to come down and ruin it all over again. Jaha was right, this could be a fresh start for me--for us--but he won't be the one to grant it.

I purse my lips. I know it's selfish. I'm definitely not the right person to decide whether or not we contact the Ark. I look down at the wristband again.

"Do you know what these are for?" I ask Finn, he looks down at his own wristband and shrugs, before nodding his head to someone standing up ahead.

"I bet she does."

I follow his gaze to see blondie standing a little ways away from the rest of the large group, and nod, both of us making our way over to her. We stand on either side of her and I peer over her shoulder to see she's looking at a map.

"Why so serious, princess?" Finn asks with a smug smile as we stand beside her. "It's not like we died in a fiery explosion."

He looks down at her but she tries to focus on the map. "Try telling that to the two guys who tried to follow you out of their seats."

Finn looks away and I glare at the side of her head.

"You don't like being called princess, do you princess?" He smirks at her and I smile knowing her words didn't affect him too much.

"Suits her though." I comment, Finn winking at me whilst blondie/princess looks between us with an annoyed look.

"Do you see that peak over there?" She indicates ahead of us to a peak that seems quite far away.

"Yeah." Finn answers for the both of us.

"Mount Weather."

"The thing Jaha mentioned?"

She nods at me, "There's a radiation soaked forest between us and our next meal. They dropped us on the wrong damn mountain."

"Well," I look over at her, "what are you gonna do about it blondie?"

She gives me a look at my nickname for her, before releasing a breath. "Figure out the quickest route through the forest."

She walks away and leaves Finn and I alone, and I mentally curse myself for forgetting to ask about the wristband. I say a quick bye to Finn and wonder through the area towards the drop ship.