Chapter 52.

"Finn."

The words that come out of my mouth are shaky, along with the rest of my body. I place a hand on his, and he latches onto it tight. 

"You're okay." I nod, trying to avoid looking at the knife stuck in his chest, the knife that could end his life at any moment. "You're okay. We're gonna get the knife out, okay?"

"No." A deep voice sounds from beside me, and I quickly turn my head to look at Bellamy. 

"What do you mean, 'no'?" I say harshly, my voice rising with every word. "I'm not just gonna leave the knife in there, Bellamy, he could die!" 

"Carter he has a higher chance of surviving the journey back to camp with the knife in." He keeps his voice calm, but still holding authority, which pisses me off. "Trust me."

I look up at him, and really look at him. He doesn't stray his eyes from mine, proving to me that he means it. 

"I can't lose him." I whisper, my eyes start to become blurry as tears brim. "I can't."

"You won't." Bellamy shakes his head. "But I need you to let him go, okay? So I can carry him."

A breathe escapes me, "Bellamy you can't--"

"Yes I can, now come on, we're wasting time." 

Bellamy hoists me to my feet, I stumble but Octavia quickly takes his place beside me, holding onto me and looking me over.

"You okay?" She asks, "you hit your head pretty hard."

"I'll be fine once we get Finn back to camp." I sniff and rub my eyes, ridding them of the unshed tears. "Clarke can heal him, we just have to get him back."

We all help to lift Finn as carefully as we can into Bellamy's arms, where he manages to keep the knife unmoving. Finn gives out grunts of pain as we do, each time is another stab to my heart. 

"Okay." Bellamy grunts, "okay, let's go." 

Jasper leads the way back down the tunnel, no doubt to give Monroe a heads up on what happened, and Bellamy follows.

I look down at the unconscious grounder, and at the spear Bellamy was using to fight him. 

I was willing to walk out of here, leaving him be whilst we went back to camp, but he screwed that up by hurting Finn. 

He hurt Finn. 

Finn could die because of him.

I try my best to push the thought away, but it still creeps into my mind. Finn could die, and it would be this grounder's fault. So if I kill this grounder, would that be justice, or just murder?

Would it make me any better of the person I am now, or would it mean that I'm no better than the mob who strung up Murphy two days ago?

But that knife wasn't even meant for Finn, it was meant for me. 

Finn pushed me out of the way, if he hadn't done that, I would be the one needing to be carried back to camp, it would be my life on the line.

Despite everything that we've been through, everything that Earth has thrown at our friendship, Finn Collins has shown me that he would literally throw himself in front of a knife for me, no matter what I've done not to deserve it. 

And I don't deserve it, I really don't. I wish Finn hadn't done that, I wish that he hadn't saved me, because if he dies, I won't be able to live knowing he died for my sake. 

"Carter." Octavia rushes up to me, "Hey, come on. We gotta go." 

She tugs on my arm, and I allow her to pull me out of the cave, averting my gaze from the grounder. 

I feel everyones eyes on me as I emerge from the tunnel, and I realise it's because my hands and jaw are clenched hard. My face is unreadable, except for maybe the anger that I feel right now. 

If--when Finn lives through this, I'm going to come back here and give that grounder a piece of my damn mind, because there is no way I'm going to let this go easily. 

Because no one, no one, messes with my family.